Blue Iris App issues

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using the Blue Iris app on my iPhone in the local network, I can not view recorded events. When I select that option the app will close on my phone. I can still view live camera feeds and status. One my computer everything works fine.
When out of the local network I am able to view everything just fine. This problem just started and its not just with my phone.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Brian

Reaction score
What version of Bi are you running? What version of the iPhone app?

I have no issues doing what you are doing. I am on 5.5.3.7 on BI and 2.02.02 on the iPhone app.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your response. We are on 4.8.6.3 and 2.02.02 on app.
OK, I discovered a lead to our problem. Our computer has started to randomly re-start and when it does Blue Iris will re-start in the back ground.
So, when we view the phone app after the random re-start is when the app shuts down when trying to view recorded events. The live feed
still works though.

I go to computer and bring up the BI software to display the cameras. Probably takes 2-5 minutes before we can view the recorded events on the app.
I tried viewing the phone app within a minute after computer software brought up and it will shut down when viewing recorded events. A few minutes
later everything works fine.

So my problem now is why my computer started to randomly restart. That computer is used only for the security cameras.

If you have any ideas on why the re-starts would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This morning I noticed that our computer did another restart. Rather than starting the software on the computer I checked the phone app.
We are able to view the recorded events. Don't know why it started working again. I still having problems with computer restarts. I have
to go down that troubleshooting road......Thanks for the tips

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Computers suddenly restarting can be a number of things:

1. Software failure (Corrupted operating system kernel or corrupted or buggy drivers; regular software can't crash a whole computer since decades ago)
2. Hardware failure (usually the power supply, but not always)
3. Just Windows update doing its thing.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris can also crash a lot, depending on version and configuration.

This is why it is important to review logs. If you have Blue Iris logging to file, you should be able to find the text "Restarted after unexpected shutdown".

As for whole-PC crashes, the place to look is Event Viewer. However usually there is no sign of what caused the crash, particularly when the cause is failing hardware. You'd just see a "Kernel Power" critical event that gets logged when Windows boots up after an unclean shutdown, and unfortunately that typically has no other useful details in it.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Any chance the 'puter is plugged in to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)?

If the battery of the UPS is shot and your area is prone to dirty power and it triggers the UPS to 'do its thing' everything connected will lose power.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
To me it’s not clear if it is the actual computer restarting or BI that is crashing and then restarting?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

If the battery of the UPS is shot and your area is prone to dirty power and it triggers the UPS to 'do its thing' everything connected will lose power.
Good thought. I should have thought of that. Most consumer-grade uninterruptable power supplies these days seem to be pretty awful. I've had something like a 50% failure rate with mine over the past 12 years (I have bought about 1 every year). I recently moved to an area with a worse power grid (and twice the cost per kWh) and it revealed 3 UPS that don't work anymore. Not just because of dead batteries either.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my experience that is the first sign of processor overheating. If you haven't already, use HWInfo to monitor temperatures. You'll know in a hear beat whether you have a heating issue.

View attachment 115021
Thank you for your response. Checked the temp and everything is normal both with the touch and with my Speccy app. running at 27c. The computer is clean and we put in on wood to get it off the carpet.
Now I am leaning towards Windows Defender because on a administrative events log lists an error with windows defender platform. But don't know why it would restart computer

Also, I see a "critical" under logged events that reads "error could be caused if system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power." Maybe power supply? as mentioned by previous poster.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blue Iris can also crash a lot, depending on version and configuration.

This is why it is important to review logs. If you have Blue Iris logging to file, you should be able to find the text "Restarted after unexpected shutdown".

As for whole-PC crashes, the place to look is Event Viewer. However usually there is no sign of what caused the crash, particularly when the cause is failing hardware. You'd just see a "Kernel Power" critical event that gets logged when Windows boots up after an unclean shutdown, and unfortunately that typically has no other useful details in it.
Thank you for your response. I got all of the messages that you mentioned with BI and on my computer log. I no longer believe it is Blue Iris causing my issues. Computer and BI have been working great for one year exactly. My trail is leading to either power supply or windows defender. I shut down widows defender to try and rule that out. But don't think defender would shut down computer completely???? So that will lead me to power supply next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you cleaned the dirt out of the Blue Iris computer lately? It could be overheating due to dirt or a failed fan.
Hi, thanks for your response. Computer is clean and we put on wood to get off of carpet. Temp, according to app, is running at 27c. plus computer is cool to the touch.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thank you for your response. Yes, we have it plugged into a battery back up. We have another computer plugged into it as well and it is not shutting down.

Reaction score
I have been building our desktops for over 20 years. Mostly since my wife is a gamer. Never had a power supply issue until this past fall. My wife's machine started acting 'funny'. Would just shut down with no warning. It would not come back on sometimes until the it was tried several times. It was on a UPS and I thought that maybe the UPS was getting old, so I replaced it.

Then we went away for about a month and when we came back the same issue prevailed. Did all of the 'typical' troubleshooting like reseating memory, testing memory, checking temps, etc. I was really hoping it was NOT the motherboard. The PS seemed good as I could see the status lights were lit on the MB. Finally decided to test the PS and it was bad. Put a new one in and it has been running fine ever since.

I forget what tests I did but there are many Youtube videos on testing the PS.

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been building our desktops for over 20 years. Mostly since my wife is a gamer. Never had a power supply issue until this past fall. My wife's machine started acting 'funny'. Would just shut down with no warning. It would not come back on sometimes until the it was tried several times. It was on a UPS and I thought that maybe the UPS was getting old, so I replaced it.

Then we went away for about a month and when we came back the same issue prevailed. Did all of the 'typical' troubleshooting like reseating memory, testing memory, checking temps, etc. I was really hoping it was NOT the motherboard. The PS seemed good as I could see the status lights were lit on the MB. Finally decided to test the PS and it was bad. Put a new one in and it has been running fine ever since.

I forget what tests I did but there are many Youtube videos on testing the PS.
Great Post, I appreciate the reply. I will go down that road now. I am not an IT expert by any means but I can figure things out with the help and ideas from people like on the forum. Thanks!
My son thinks it's windows defender causing the issue. I turned it off and not to start during start up. did not work. I was thinking power supply was next culprit thanks to posters and even my son
mentioned that as a possibility. He built the computer and put a better power supply in that has been great for a year but, I guess, all good things come to an end.

I think its great that your wife is a gamer!

bslow47

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good call, I've seen that myself. FWIW, my first PC was in 1986... The following might be helpful from Tom's HW Forum: [SOLVED] Why is my computer randomly rebooting? #1 and My canned random reboot Rant
Thanks for your post. I looked at the link you sent and have a question. One of the steps tells how to turn off automatic restart. Besides the obvious, what does that do exactly. If our computer automatically
restarts after a crash will it now be just off? Thanks.