Blue Iris, Axis, lets go fishing

Reaction score
My company is currently upgrading our analog view only camera system to a 10-15 IP camera system with recording capability on select cameras (maybe 7). The catch is that this will be for a commercial fishing vessel out of Alaska. I have done a fair amount of research and have ordered most of the goods but I really have not narrowed down the best storage option.

Naturally, SSD would be great but we do not have an unlimited budget. At a minimum we would like to have about 2 months of 24/7 recording on 3 cameras and 1 month of 24/7 recording on 3-4 others.

The cameras are mostly 2 MP Axis cameras but we had a few Vivotek 1.3 MP cameras laying around that will work well in the engine room along with 2 Axis PTZs I picked up.

I estimated the bandwidth to be about 2.5 Mbps per camera if running at 10-15 FPS. Let me know if this is reasonable or not. That should bring us to around a minimum storage requirement of 8 TB but I would assume having redundancy of some form.

We will be running Blue Iris on an HP Z240 workstation with an I-6700k processor, 16GBs of memory, 256 GB SSD for Windows 10 and Blue Iris, and Intel HD graphics 530.

At any time we would like to be able to cycle the camera view on a monitor in the wheelhouse but be able to customize the layout depending on what the boat is doing at the time. I could see the need to stay on one camera 100% of the time while cycling another 6 cameras etc. Hopefully, this will be possible with Blue Iris as I would assume it is.

Finally, to what I really need to figure out. It sounds like the WD Purple drives are the recommended option for practical applications. I also kind of am leaning towards a RAID10 setup for our redundancy but what I am not really sure on is whether cramming four HDDs into the Z240 is a good idea or if I should just go with two 8 TB HDDs in Raid1.

I see the other more expensive possibility being a Synology NAS with the four HDDs in RAID10 but what I could not find out anywhere is whether or not the NAS would reduce performance at all. Also, is the WD Purple HDD a good option in a NAS environment or on a fishing boat bouncing around in the ocean all together.

Just insight from my experience of HDDs on our boat. They actually seem to hold up ok considering the environment. We have one of our navigational windows machines still chugging along with the original HDD after 6 plus years. The newer machines were built with SSD however.

I appreciate the help in advance and can provide more details if requested.

Blake

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are tools which will calculate the required storage for you depending on your input.
I think 2.5 Mbps is reasonable, but I am no expert.

Reaction score
I am more interested in the specific hardware recommendations for our application. The storage capacity I am good with.