Blue iris - best 8MP camera

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys

i'm looking for the best 8MP camera (guessing that translates to 4k) and don't require PTZ since we are setting up enough cameras to look all around the home. What would you recommend? Having a microphone would be a plus along with maximum blue iris compatibility. If you can specify one for an unlimited budget and 2nd with mid-level budget that'll be great

Also are there any 3rd party companies that sell you blue iris ready machines for upto 12 cameras and also potentially offer a support line should I run into issues

Thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

did you check the Cliff Notes? "Looking for best cam" is a shot in the dark, as our crystal ball cannot guess:
- what are the FOVs? lens size?
- day/night environments?
- nightvision?
- LPR?
- DORI?
- cabling distances?

At least, to formulate valid solutions, make a drawing in IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and show us what your setup would look like.

If all of the above is chinese to you, check the Cliff Notes again.

Diving into BI is the next step, first do your homework :)

Thank you!
CC

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4k is fine for daytime and night time with a lot of light.

1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) More megapixel is not necessarily better.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More megapixel is not necessarily better.
More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better. More megapixel is not necessarily better.

Reaction score
You stated "...since we are setting up enough cameras to look all around the home..." but what does this mean? Are you talking about the outside of a house (around the building)? Are you talking about a bunch of cameras set up inside the house? What are you trying to accomplish with the coverage? Just trying to get an idea of what is happening (monitoring), or do you need to identify an actor (from what distance and in what lighting situations)? Are these only needed in daylight or will they need to be used in darkness? What size areas will each camera monitor?

What is the purpose of using 8MP cameras? Are you looking for cinematic quality for publishing purposes or something else?

"are there any 3rd party companies that sell you blue iris ready machines for upto 12 cameras and also potentially offer a support line should I run into issues" - Can't say that I have ever heard of this. Not on this forum or IRL.

Skinny1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the Money, this is the best camera going. I have several. Easy to setup and Great Video Quality! 119.99 at Amazon.
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Bullet POE IP Camera, 3840x2160, 131ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I like these http://amzn.com/B07FP5HHSQ (available in several lens sizes, and also as varifocal under a different model number)

It would be great if they could push out a higher bit rate though.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.