Blue Iris config update

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Blue Iris for a while now. I have changed my entire configuration of cameras, and it seems that my computer isn't strong enough to handle the stream of all of my new cameras.
CPU is always around 30-50% in service mode, 80% in console mode, but when i try to read the videos, it goes up to 100% and it is lagging, or blue iris goes crashing.
You will find below my actual configuration (in terms of cameras and blue iris server).

Here is my question : what should i buy ? I would like a server able to add at least 3 cameras (like the one i have) just in case.

My cameras : 1582454723672.png

My server : GB-BSi7HA-6500 (rev. 1.0)
BRIX / Ultra Compact PC kit

• CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-6500U
    2.5GHz / 3.1GHz
  • Memory
    2 x SO-DIMM 4*2GB
  • LAN
    Gigabit LAN (Intel i219LM)
  • SSD for windows and HDD for recording

PS : i have followed the tutorial to optimize my server in terms of CPU.
Thanks,

Lucas

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming you have ONLY Blue Iris running, then before you opt for a new PC, may I suggest:
  • Look at CPU % and report back.
Two questions:
  • Could you clarify how much total RAM you have?
  • Is this a laptop?

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Tony,
Thanks for your answer.

This server is only running blue iris (with stunnel and BI tools).
I have changed the frame rate and it doesn't change that much (about 5% less).

There is a total of 16GB of ram.

It is not a laptop, but a sort of intel NUC :
Maybe it has a laptop processor ?

Thanks for your help,

Lucas

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

look at passmark to compare CPU performance
Look at Blue Iris Update Helper to compare BI systems with different CPUs, look at the MP/S

Just a look at your data, you are doing a lot of video webcasting, how many copies of UI3 or the bI app are you running ?

Why so many no signals, are you running WIFI ? What is your network configuration ?

Is the Hard drive internal to the NUC ?

Recommendation, turn off motion detection on unnecessary non critical cameras. Set those cameras to Limit decoding unless required .

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi SouthernYankee,
Thanks for your message.
I am running between 1 and 3 UI3 at the same time (because it's a shop and we have some screens displaying the live stream).
We had issues with one ethernet cable that i had to change, i've just fixed it.

Both of the hard drives are internal (SSD+HDD).

The issue is that i can not disable the motion detection on any camera because all of them are necessary. Setting them to 'limit decoding unless recording' would change something ?

I have found a computer that seems to be stronger : LDLC PC Zi Artist - PC de bureau LDLC sur LDLC.com
do you think it would better with my camera config ?

Thanks,

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking at the passmark ratings
i7-6500U rating 4421
i7-9700 rating 15961

So the new system would be 3.5 times faster than the old system. This would be a major performance improvement. Only you can decide if this is necessary and worth the cost. The website page translator (French to English) has statement "Machine supplied without system". I would not purchase a new computer unless it had windows 10 Pro installed, or at least had a valid license.

I am not sure about EBAY in France, but i recommend looking at used DELL Optiplex or HP EliteDesk.

If you need to run motion detection on all cameras , then do NOT use Limit decoding unless required. It has been reported that this may cause problems with the motion detection.
Are you recording continuous and direct to disk ?

susu03mat

n3wb
Reaction score
your processor is the problem. Intel may call it an i7, but the i7-6500U is still only a dual core processor. Even something "last generation" (like an i5-8400) would absolutely run circles around it.

You probably need to move away from the NUC form factor and look into something like a SFF desktop. They don't take up much extra square inches on the desk (although of course they are way taller), but you will be happier in the long run. The NUC form factor can't deal with the heat from higher powered multi core processors.

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee : sorry about the french. I will definitely install w10 pro on the machine, but i already have a licence ;)
Are the DELL Optiplex or HP EliteDesk better than the one i have chosen?
I am not recording continous but only 'when triggered' and yep i am recording direct2disk for every camera.

@susu03mat Hi and thanks for this info. Is the computer that i have chosen well adapted to BI? In terms of CPU i guess.

Thanks everyone once again !

susu03mat

n3wb
Reaction score
@susu03mat Hi and thanks for this info. Is the computer that i have chosen well adapted to BI? In terms of CPU i guess.
The computer you linked has an i7 9700 and is massively more powerful than what you have now; it should be up to the task with some room to grow.

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
New server is working very great ! I am always around 20%, BI console opened !
I'm still confused about one thing : when displaying all of my camera (if i am looking for s/o ie) the cpu goes very high (even more if the speed is high.
Is there a way to limit the fram rate only when there is the 'all cams view' ?

Thanks,