Blue Iris CPU/GPU for mainly remote viewing

joneda1

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm sure many parts of this question have been answered across many posts but I'm trying to get an answer all in one place.

I am planning a new Blue Iris system which will replace a Swann NVR. I can access the 7 surviving Swann cameras on RTSP and I plan 3-4 new IP cameras. I have available a solid Dell PC with a XEON 1280-V3 CPU, so no QuickSync. I can put in a GTX1050 (extra power consumption) or an older Quadro card (FX1700 or similar, less power consumption).

My questions:

- I plan to do almost all viewing from other PC's via the web interface.
- Would Quicksync (if I had it) on the server make a difference to playback performance via the web interface?
- Does the GTX1050 on the server make a similar difference to playback performance?
- This post (under Encoder Preset) Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage suggests that the CPU does decoding for remote viewing. Does QuickSync or a GTX1050 provide a performance advantage here?
- If I changed the CPU to have QuickSync would I need a monitor (or monitor simulator) plugged in for correct operation?
- Does QuickSync or a GTX1050 benefit in Direct-to-Disk recording?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need a graphics card or quicksync anymore as long as you use the substreams (which you will want to do). They have always been power hogs and heat producers and served a purpose once upon a time to bring down CPU%, but that reason disappeared when substreams were introduced.

Recent updates to BI has made hardware acceleration problematic and the CPU% to offload the video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings.

The only reason to use a GPU is if you wanted to offload DeepStack to it.

I deleted the graphics drivers just for kicks (so my system was showing no internal or external GPU) and my system works just fine LOL.

I will defer to others regarding the suitability of a Xeon.

But I can tell you the number of cameras you are looking for would be fine on a 4th generation Intel.

joneda1

n3wb
Reaction score
You do not need a graphics card or quicksync anymore as long as you use the substreams (which you will want to do). They have always been power hogs and heat producers and served a purpose once upon a time to bring down CPU%, but that reason disappeared when substreams were introduced.

Recent updates to BI has made hardware acceleration problematic and the CPU% to offload the video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings.

The only reason to use a GPU is if you wanted to offload DeepStack to it.

I deleted the graphics drivers just for kicks (so my system was showing no internal or external GPU) and my system works just fine LOL.

I will defer to others regarding the suitability of a Xeon.

But I can tell you the number of cameras you are looking for would be fine on a 4th generation Intel.
Thanks, I was basically aware of the substreams and the CPU benefits. I still want to record mainstreams and I believe this is possible (and viewable in a single window). I sometimes need the resolution to detect number plates manually but substreams will be fine for multi-camera views.
I have read a little on the use of Deepstack and sort of had the GTX1050 in mind for that.
I'm pretty sure the XEON is fine for the job as long as I can do without QuickSync.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes mainstreams can still be recorded and a GPU isn't necessary for that.

joneda1

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess I can only give it a go. I checked for a similar system on the performance page and it looks like a XEON 1280-V3 can handle several cameras.