Blue Iris CPU Issue on Fresh Windows 10 Install - Read Wikis..

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Current setup is a Gigabyte B75M-D3H Mobo / Intel Core I5-2500K / 16GB Memory / NVidia GT 1030.. I was/am having issues maxing out on my CPU often..

I have a 500GB SSD with the OS and that's where BlueIris DB sits.. I have a Synology NAS that I use for the recordings..

I have (8) Cameras.. (4) Exterior Laview POE 4MP, (2) Foscam 720P Wireless, and (2) Annke wireless.

Last week I tried installing a fresh version of Windows 10 (previously was running 8.1).. I also offloaded Sonarr, Radarr, and Sabnzbd off this machine to try and help with CPU issues..

I've followed the "Optimizing CPU..." thread.. Set all my cameras to be "Direct to Disc".. Set my Hardware Accelerated decoding to "Intel" (My CPU supports Quick Sync)..

Regarding that.. I don't think it's working.. I've gone through this thread and all signs point to it not actually working.. So just now I checked in my device manager and the only video card it had was my GT1030.. I went into the Bios and enabled my Intel HD 3000 thinking that would solve the problem.. It shows up now in device manager but I still don't see it being used..

I have BI running as a service..

I'm running BI 4.8.6.3 x64..

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras running H.264 with no advanced option.

screen shots.
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) windows task manager preformance, GPU
3 )Blue Iris Setting about tab
4) blue Iris status cameras

look at , for what other cpus are doing

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not using the intel GPU in your processor. This can be seen on the Processes, blue iris does not have a GPU. The windows GPU status does not show the intel GPU.

The H.264 is specified in the cameras. You also need to set your frame rate to no more than 15 FPS. You should also set an Iframe to 15.

On the intel GPU, you may need to enable it in in the BIOS.

The windows 10 info should look like this.

process_gpu.jpg

Task_GPU.jpg

Device1.jpg

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea, initially it wasn't enabled in the bios so didn't show up in device manager.. But I enabled it in the Bios, it shows up in DM, but still nothing is using it.

I turned it off in BI and restarted BI, then turned the option back on in BI and restarted it again hoping that would fix it but no change..

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first question , is the Intel GPU working ?
Try adding a second monitor, plugged into the BI PC Intel GPU. Reboot the PC, is both monitors working ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That has been my experience too: a 2nd-gen CPU's Quick Sync hardware acceleration won't handle resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080. But that is meaningless if you can't get the Intel GPU to appear in Task Manager > Performance tab. We see only the Nvidia card in there. Make sure you have installed an Intel graphics driver appropriate for your CPU, and that you have a monitor connected to one of the onboard outputs. Note an iGPU-connected monitor isn't necessary on all systems -- like my i7-8700K box next to me is fine without one. But on some systems it IS needed.

You can use Nvidia acceleration (even beyond 1080p), but be aware it might raise your overall power consumption despite lowering CPU usage.

15 FPS max across the board would also help a lot with CPU usage. i-frame interval does not affect CPU usage in a meaningful way.

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well this sucks.. I have this PC hooked up to my TV (HTPC) via HDMI.. I don't have a VGA monitor laying around.. Wondering how much that will even help?

Would getting a better GPU help with this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well this sucks.. I have this PC hooked up to my TV (HTPC) via HDMI.. I don't have a VGA monitor laying around.. Wondering how much that will even help?

Would getting a better GPU help with this?
are you saying you dont have hdmi/dvi/dp outputs built into the motherboard?

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
are you saying you dont have hdmi/dvi/dp outputs built into the motherboard?
I do. Motherboard has VGA and DVI output.. I'm saying I use HDMI from my Nviga card to my TV.. And I don't have VGA monitors laying around to plug into the mobo just to get the onboard to show up..

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a HDMI monitor, get a DVI to HDMI addapter.

I think you need to consider upgrading your PC to run BI.

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have a HDMI monitor, get a DVI to HDMI addapter.

I think you need to consider upgrading your PC to run BI.
sorry I’m confused. You’re suggesting I not use my nvidia card output to my tv? I use this for Kodi playback.

and I agree about my pc.. I was hoping by offloading sonarr, radarr, and SABnzbd would fix the issue.

I just paid $900 for a NAS hoping it would fix it. Would just getting the best cpu for this board address it? Would a better gpu?

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
sorry I’m confused. You’re suggesting I not use my nvidia card output to my tv? I use this for Kodi playback.

and I agree about my pc.. I was hoping by offloading sonarr, radarr, and SABnzbd would fix the issue.

I just paid $900 for a NAS hoping it would fix it. Would just getting the best cpu for this board address it? Would a better gpu?

thanks
You should not be spending money on a nas. Your pc if running blue iris alone on a clean copy of windows could easily handle that load. The problem is with everything else you have installed there is a lot going on.
You should buy an elitedesk/prodesk i5-8500 for 400 bux and you are done. You should not spend money upgrading a 10 year old pc.

kmccb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You should not be spending money on a nas. Your pc if running blue iris alone on a clean copy of windows could easily handle that load. The problem is with everything else you have installed there is a lot going on.
You should buy an elitedesk/prodesk i5-8500 for 400 bux and you are done. You should not spend money upgrading a 10 year old pc.
I needed a NAS for all my media and to have redundancy.

maybe I’ll just get an nvidia shield for Kodi/Plex and leave the current pc I have for BI.

Thanks for the advice

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The reason to connect a second monitor, is to verify that you have the Intel GPU is working. Currently it goes not seem to be working.

Last edited: