Blue Iris CPU Usage

Reaction score
Hi

First post here. I'm sure what I am asking here is probably really basic for you guys. I've looked through the forum and can't seem to find an answer though. If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it though. I have the following.

3 x TV-316IP Trendnet Cameras (5 MegaPixel/ 30FPS/ Variable Max Bit Rate 2046)
2 x Axis M7011 Encoders (20FPS/0.2MP)

I am running BlueIris on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 (i7 2.8Ghz / 8GB RAM), nothing else running on it. I know I've got the highest settings possible on the cameras but I need it, and as close to real time as possible. The video becomes extremely jerky and buffers on the cameras anything over 40% CPU usage. Above 60% the camera feeds on BI effectively become unusable. I've followed and exhausted every recommendation on the BI help manual, short of degrading the camera resolution/frame rate/max bit rate, which I really don't want to do.

Is this as basic as me asking too much of the CPU or is there something else I'm missing? Everything online indicates the PC specification should be sufficient for the task, but it clearly seems not.

Thank you in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

First post here. I'm sure what I am asking here is probably really basic for you guys. I've looked through the forum and can't seem to find an answer though. If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it though. I have the following.

3 x TV-316IP Trendnet Cameras (5 MegaPixel/ 30FPS/ Variable Max Bit Rate 2046)
2 x Axis M7011 Encoders (20FPS/0.2MP)

I am running BlueIris on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 (i7 2.8Ghz / 8GB RAM), nothing else running on it. I know I've got the highest settings possible on the cameras but I need it, and as close to real time as possible. The video becomes extremely jerky and buffers on the cameras anything over 40% CPU usage. Above 60% the camera feeds on BI effectively become unusable. I've followed and exhausted every recommendation on the BI help manual, short of degrading the camera resolution/frame rate/max bit rate, which I really don't want to do.

Is this as basic as me asking too much of the CPU or is there something else I'm missing? Everything online indicates the PC specification should be sufficient for the task, but it clearly seems not.

Thank you in advance.
have you followed the wiki and setup direct to disk and hardware acceleration?
What exact version of blue iris are you running?

Reaction score
have you followed the wiki and setup direct to disk and hardware acceleration?
What exact version of blue iris are you running?
Hi Fenderman, thank you for your quick follow up. I actually eliminated all recording and pre-trigger recording. I need to look into the hardware acceleration option, I did read about that, thought it was enabled.
Paid for and downloaded the full version last month.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, thank you for your quick follow up. I actually eliminated all recording and pre-trigger recording. I need to look into the hardware acceleration option, I did read about that, thought it was enabled.
Paid for and downloaded the full version last month.
even if you eliminate the recording you need to set it to direct to disk - this needs to be done for each camera.