Blue Iris crash - memory leak?

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi-

New BI user here (version 4.5.7.4). I've installed it on a brand new (refurb) Dell Optiplex 7040 Win10 Pro (i7-6700, 16GB, 256GB SSD). Currently I'm just using some space on the SSD drive for video storage (direct to disk), but eventually plan on adding a purple drive in for clip storage. Everything runs smoothly with 6x 1080p15 cameras at about 10-15% CPU. That is until Blue Iris crashes. This has happened a few times now over the past day. If I log remotely into the PC the app is just not running. I can restart it manually and everything is fine.

Is there any good info online for how to debug an application crash like this? The C:\BlueIris\log directory is empty, and I didn't see any config settings to turn on logging (could easily have missed them). I looked in the windows event viewer application section and didn't see anything around the time of the crash.

Any tips / pointers would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
Checked back in about 6 hours after restarting, and it looks like BI has gone from ~6GB to about 16GB memory utilization. Seems like a memory leak. Is this a known issue? Worth maybe rolling back to a more stable version? Any suggestions?

Thanks....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Checked back in about 6 hours after restarting, and it looks like BI has gone from ~6GB to about 16GB memory utilization. Seems like a memory leak. Is this a known issue? Worth maybe rolling back to a more stable version? Any suggestions?

Thanks....
it was an issue with older intel hd drivers...ensure you have the latest from intel not the pc vendor. Dell will tell you the drivers are up to date..google how to install intel drivers on a dell machine. or better yet as I always advise, do a clean installation of windows using the MS media creation tool...this will provide perfect stability.

sc11223344

n3wb
Reaction score
it was an issue with older intel hd drivers...ensure you have the latest from intel not the pc vendor. Dell will tell you the drivers are up to date..google how to install intel drivers on a dell machine. or better yet as I always advise, do a clean installation of windows using the MS media creation tool...this will provide perfect stability.
Thanks. I'll do a clean MS Windows install. Will that (plus updates) guarantee I'm using a good enough Intel driver? Or do I still need to separately go to Intel and download/update the driver directly from them?

And separate question .... what do you recommend for a dedicated BI machine as far as window updates (automatic vs manual)? If it matters I may consider exposing a single port into the machine from the outside world for remote access (I can VPN in, but still deciding whether I want to make my life a little easier by having a port open vs having to enable the VPN every time...).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll do a clean MS Windows install. Will that (plus updates) guarantee I'm using a good enough Intel driver? Or do I still need to separately go to Intel and download/update the driver directly from them?

And separate question .... what do you recommend for a dedicated BI machine as far as window updates (automatic vs manual)? If it matters I may consider exposing a single port into the machine from the outside world for remote access (I can VPN in, but still deciding whether I want to make my life a little easier by having a port open vs having to enable the VPN every time...).
With windows pro you can defer updates for a long time..there are ways to disable completely using group policy...I would suggest a vpn..a clean install with latest updates will work.