Blue Iris crashes even after reinstalling

Reaction score
Looks good to me.

1) do not run the virus scanner or the disk defragmentor the D drive.
2) are you using continuous recording on the three cameras ?
3) are you using BI motion detection for the cameras iN BI
4) are you using substreams for the motion detection ?

I would not change anything for a few days, keep it a plain vanilla system and see if it stays stable.

1 - No virus scanner and defrag is disabled on D drive
2 - yes, all three cameras are configured as shown in the 3-1.PNG image in my last post
3 - yes? Do you mean on the Trigger tab --> Sources --> Motion sensor [checkbox is checked and I have configured min object size, zones and hot spots, etc....]
4 - I think so. I am pretty new to this and still grasping the main stream / sub stream concept. I'll attach a pic of my actual cam settings. Again, I just literally went off that youtube video because I've been in I.T. for so long I felt 100% confident I could at least follow along and get 24/7 standard def recording, although I never went past 9-ish minutes -- he lost me at all the Home Assistant, Deepstack, AI stuff when he got into high def streaming upon motion trigger. At one point in the video (apparently while setting up standard def streaming), he said "lets add these to a group called SUBSTREAMS....", so I did that but have no idea yet what or why .... yes, I'm THAT new to this, don't hate! :)

It all started when I moved to a new place four months ago and wanted surveillance, and I stumbled on the youtube video above, and here I am.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not the guy to ask about sub streams. I am an old fart, if it is not broken do not fix it. You lead you bleed. I use an older version of BI that is stable for me. 5.2.9.20.

If it was me I would turn off the sub streams and the motion detect and let it run for a few days, just doing continuous recording and see it it remains stable.
Then next weekend add in motion detection, without substreams and let that run for a while.

Go slow in small steps.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn’t look like you have substreams configured on BI. You do have it enabled in the cam but you also need to configure it within BI.

Your screenshot showing the stream data has no substream data which confirms that the cam doesn’t have it enabled.

Reaction score
Doesn’t look like you have substreams configured on BI. You do have it enabled in the cam but you also need to configure it within BI.

Your screenshot showing the stream data has no substream data which confirms that the cam doesn’t have it enabled.
Well would you look at that. I do see sub stream blank. I do have sub streams enabled/ticked in the local camera settings page (on the camera settings.PNG image), but I think when adding these cameras to BI I just used the default http way and entered the CAM's IP address -- it must default to main stream. BI didn't have my exact make/model of camera (Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-28MM), so I used the default of Make: Generic/ONVIF Model: *RTSP H264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4. I watched a couple other videos where, in order to add a second cam's sub stream, when adding the camera, you need to change the drop-down from http to rstp, and then figure out what the heck to put in the rstp value (in the youtube video at 8:43 he simply says to just google your cams rstp sub stream url) but I tried that and wasn't as successful and ultimately gave up. I would like to learn more so if you know of a great video for explaining streams with examples to a noob, please share!

I just read on Page 31 in the BI manual that http is recommended:

Protocol
For most IP cameras, you should retain HTTP as the protocol. For some cameras, HTTPS
may be used for JPEG image retrieval only, but this is not common.

Other protocols are listed and these are used to configure the camera using a generic URL
such as RTSP:/ or MMSH:/ etc. This is not recommended unless the camera has no HTTP
interface. You may enter the full URL into the address box, press Tab, and it will be
automatically parsed for you into protocol, address, and video path.

Ports
The camera’s HTTP port (if not the default 80) should be added to the address, such as
192.168.0.1:8000.

If the camera uses RTSP, RTMP, or another video protocol over a port separate from the
HTTP (many DVRs use proprietary video ports), that port number must be specified in the
media/video/RTSP port box. The default port for RTSP is 554, which is the most commonly
used type of video streaming for Network IP cameras. Some models use RTMP, which has a
default of 1935.

The discovery/ONVIF port may be set automatically during the Find/Inspect operation, but
setting it manually may be required in some cases. This port number is later used for PTZ
operations for cameras configured to use the ONVIF protocol for PTZ. It is also used for the
ONVIF GetEvents function which is required for camera-based triggering.
Video and audio paths

These typically will be populated automatically.

If you are using a high-megapixel camera (4MP or higher) with an RTSP stream along with
direct-to-disc recording, you may specify a second video stream path. When used, this is
called a “sub-stream” and the primary stream is also known as the “main-stream”.
Decoding a high-MP video stream may use large amounts or CPU/GPU time and adding a
quantity of these cameras may be impossible on most systems. The software will use the
main-stream for audio and recording (and playback), but the sub-stream for everything else,
including motion detection and web services.

Attachments

Last edited:

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5.3.1.6 crashed for me again after 3 days. Same issue in Windows Event Viewer. ntdll.dll failure related to BlueIris.

I re-installed Windows 10 Pro and installed 5.3.0.3. Let's try again and see what's going on. The funny part is, I am not recording, motion detecting anything. I am simply live-viewing 16 cameras on sub-stream mode (low, low bandwidth). CPU usage 6-8%. Mem usage 3GB out of 16GB.

Reaction score
5.3.1.6 crashed for me again after 3 days. Same issue in Windows Event Viewer. ntdll.dll failure related to BlueIris.

I re-installed Windows 10 Pro and installed 5.3.0.3. Let's try again and see what's going on. The funny part is, I am not recording, motion detecting anything. I am simply live-viewing 16 cameras on sub-stream mode (low, low bandwidth). CPU usage 6-8%. Mem usage 3GB out of 16GB.
sigh......
noob.jpg

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that 5.2.x.x might be more stable but I'm not sure and don't think if 5.2.x.x supports subtream. I really, really must have substream for constant 24/7 live-viewing. Otherwise, 16 cams at full-stream will kill any CPU.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I just put up with the crashes, seems to occur for me 2-3 times a week but the services has to date always restarted. Yes I do lose a bit of footage but I’ve done as much as I can to investigate and report.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just confirmed. 5.3.0.3 (most recent stable version) crashed for the same reason, ntdll.dll. In fact it crashed even faster, 6 hours!

I went back to 5.3.1.6 since it takes 36-48 hours for it to crash. In the mean time, I have devised a solution. The solution is to create a Task inside Windows TaskScheduler to reboot the PC every day at 3AM. BlueIris should then fire right up to full screen.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just confirmed. 5.3.0.3 (most recent stable version) crashed for the same reason, ntdll.dll. In fact it crashed even faster, 6 hours!

I went back to 5.3.1.6 since it takes 36-48 hours for it to crash. In the mean time, I have devised a solution. The solution is to create a Task inside Windows TaskScheduler to reboot the PC every day at 3AM. BlueIris should then fire right up to full screen.
Why do you need to do this? I just run BI as a service, yes it does randomly crash but it restarts the service all by itself.

wittaj

Known around here
Reaction score
And why 3am? You could miss out on the middle of the night prowlers.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why do you need to do this? I just run BI as a service, yes it does randomly crash but it restarts the service all by itself.
Because I am running a 24/7 live view monitor in my living room on a 19 inch screen..........

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Blue Iris 5.3.1.6 crashed yet again this morning, WOOHOO. 4th time in a row! Even after the scheduled Windows 3AM automatic restart.

Time to write a python script to live-monitor Blue Iris.exe. Once the process crashes, the python script should automatically fire up the program again. Ah, what a mess I have to clean up.... Come on BI!

tward392

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris 5.3.1.6 crashed yet again this morning, WOOHOO. 4th time in a row! Even after the scheduled Windows 3AM automatic restart.

Time to write a python script to live-monitor Blue Iris.exe. Once the process crashes, the python script should automatically fire up the program again. Ah, what a mess I have to clean up.... Come on BI!
Knock on wood, but I'm using 5.3.1.6 and I rebooted the other day for Windows updates and Blue Iris has been running for 4 days without any crashes. Only time Blue Iris restarts is when I update it or reboot my machine.

Reaction score
Knock on wood, but I'm using 5.3.1.6 and I rebooted the other day for Windows updates and Blue Iris has been running for 4 days without any crashes. Only time Blue Iris restarts is when I update it or reboot my machine.
Windows updates!!?? o_O You like livin' on the edge, eh? I turned that crap off in gpedit.msc. My system has been up for two days now without a hiccup. I have a feeling things get janky if/when the hard drive used to store videos gets close to full. This time around I only allocated about 80% of my disk vs nearly 95-99% (since the first time I was thinking BI would just first-in-first-out the videos automagically.... .wrong). We'll see how long she purrs. Just glad to know I'm not alone, but a little concerned I might have purchased a "fish timer" product (e.g. SUPPORT: "have you tried rebooting it? [chuckles] yeah I know, it's weird sometimes you just gotta reboot these things") .... :blankstare: I see @IAmATeaf said to just run it as a service but that is what also broke my BI setup another time. I changed to run as service, then explorer.exe began having a siezure (taskbar appearing, explorer.exe crashes, taskbar back, crash, taskbar back, crash....). I'm not touching that checkbox again. I would rather have my computer configured to log straight in without needing CTRL+ALT+DEL, and the BI GUI starts because I added BlueIrisAdmin.exe to the registry at hkey_local_machine\software\wow6432node\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run.

Reaction score
I've been running BI for, probably, five years or a little more and have never had a crash. I'd suspect a hardware, probably memory, or driver problems. That's as specific as I can get with your problem. I'm using HA and substreams on 12 cameras with a ~330 MpPS load.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've been running BI for, probably, five years or a little more and have never had a crash. I'd suspect a hardware, probably memory, or driver problems. That's as specific as I can get with your problem. I'm using HA and substreams on 12 cameras with a ~330 MpPS load.
What version are you using? And are you running live view 24/7 constantly full-screen or are you running as a service??

I run mine as a service as well, no issues.
What version are you using?

Reaction score
Current running version is 5.3.1.6 and it's running as a service. The local console is normally not running, only bring it up a couple of times a day to look at stats or a clip. There is usually at least one webserver connection using UI3 and sometimes as many as three depending on what's going on and who is where kind of things.