Blue Iris crashing every week - ten days

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running a ten camera setup with Blue Iris on a DEll Optiplex 980, intel i5 3.19ghz, W10 prof. 64 bit with 8gb RAM. I start Blue Iris and it will run for about a week, maybe ten days, then it crashes, usually (but not always) in the middle of the night, then I restart Blue Iris and it goes again for a week or ten days. Windows 10 is still running, it's only Blue Iris that crashes, a message says "Blue Iris has stopped working etc....". CPU runs at about 36% and RAM at about 30%. I was having exactly the same problem with my previous setup (Optiplex 755 dual core, 4gb ram) so I upgraded in the hope of solving the problem, but it seems exactly the same. Any ideas please?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running a ten camera setup with Blue Iris on a DEll Optiplex 980, intel i5 3.19ghz, W10 prof. 64 bit with 8gb RAM. I start Blue Iris and it will run for about a week, maybe ten days, then it crashes, usually (but not always) in the middle of the night, then I restart Blue Iris and it goes again for a week or ten days. Windows 10 is still running, it's only Blue Iris that crashes, a message says "Blue Iris has stopped working etc....". CPU runs at about 36% and RAM at about 30%. I was having exactly the same problem with my previous setup (Optiplex 755 dual core, 4gb ram) so I upgraded in the hope of solving the problem, but it seems exactly the same. Any ideas please?
did you perform a clean windows install using the microsoft media creation tool? fyi the i5 in the 980 is first gen, not ideal, in the future if you upgrade look for generation 3 or later..
what else do you have installed aside from blue iris? what parts if any did you carry over to the new system?

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It was a clean install of W10, as for whether it was with the microsoft media creation tool I'll have to ask my partner when he's back later and update the post. This is dedicated computer for the cameras so nothing else is installed except for Team Viewer which we use to get it going again if it crashes when we're away from home. The parts we carried over are all the cameras (7 Ycam white SD, 1 Ycam HD bullet, 1 USB webcam and 1 Cooau 2 megapixel 1080) with all their cabling - they are all hard-wired with ethernet connections to our home network (plus 1 USB connection) as we found the wi-fi links too unstable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ensure Media Creation media was used...try removing the USB webcam..did you Carry over the hard drive or memory?

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hard drive and memory was not carried over. I'll remove the USB cam and repost later about the Media Creation tool... thanks!

Reaction score
It was a clean install of W10, as for whether it was with the microsoft media creation tool I'll have to ask my partner when he's back later and update the post. This is dedicated computer for the cameras so nothing else is installed except for Team Viewer which we use to get it going again if it crashes when we're away from home. The parts we carried over are all the cameras (7 Ycam white SD, 1 Ycam HD bullet, 1 USB webcam and 1 Cooau 2 megapixel 1080) with all their cabling - they are all hard-wired with ethernet connections to our home network (plus 1 USB connection) as we found the wi-fi links too unstable.
You can run BI as a service or use BI tools to get it to automatically restart after a crash.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We've been told about the BI auto restart before, and I believe a notification email being sent was mentioned, but we just couldn't work out how to set that up. Would you be able to briefly take me through it please?

Also, it now turns out that the original clean install of W10 was not done using the media tool, but subsequent updates have been done using the media tool. We've disconnected the USB cam now, we thought we'd try that first...

Reaction score
Go to "Options" and click on "Startup" and put a check mark in "Run as a Windows service (no UI, Run again for console)".

Once you do that BI will be running as a service and will automatically restart when it crashes.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that, it's not complicated when you know where to look! So now we've set BI as a service, what happens if it keeps crashing and restarting, will we ever know what's been going on? I believe when I posted on here before someone said that BI can send you a notification if it crashes, if so could you tell we how I set that up please?

Reaction score
Yes, you can setup notifications by clicking on "Status" under the "Messages" tab click on "Status alerts", input the proper email information and put a check mark in "Software restarts"

In addition to your email alert, the Status icon will turn red and it'll be documented under the messages tab when BI crashes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We've been told about the BI auto restart before, and I believe a notification email being sent was mentioned, but we just couldn't work out how to set that up. Would you be able to briefly take me through it please?

Also, it now turns out that the original clean install of W10 was not done using the media tool, but subsequent updates have been done using the media tool. We've disconnected the USB cam now, we thought we'd try that first...
not sure what you mean...updates dont need the media creation tool, windows downloads and installs them.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, there has been some confusion here, it turns out that we've not been using media creation tool at all. So we set the automatic restart and email notifications for restarts, and have been running the system for three days without the USB webcam connected. When we looked this morning, the 'direct' screen on the cameras computer had frozen with all the images showing about 3am on their clocks, however the internet connection via the URL was still working fine. To fix this we closed BI and restarted it and all is fine now. Should we have received a 'software restart' email by doing this or would that only be triggered by an automatic restart? - Nothing seems to have arrived.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok we'll do that when we get an opportunity - meanwhile can you tell me please if doing a manual close of BI and then opening it again should generate the 'software restart' notification email because we didn't appear to get one. Thanks...