Blue Iris Crashing on Startup

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I open the Windows Application BI takes a very long time to load and then eventually would hang up after it completes loading. However the webserver works just fine if I leave it alone.

I've restore my entire system to previous dates with no luck.

Reset BI to default and without any old configuration just the license, there's no issue but as soon as I import my setting in it crashes again. Any advise on how to further investigate the issue?

My system resources all appears normal and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't import and start from scratch.

You have a memory leak or HA is enabled and causing issues are the likely causes.

Importing is bringing in a corrupt issue.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Start from scratch is going to be a nightmare, 16 cameras and very specific AI setting per camera and many hours of tweaking.

FWIW I deleted the DB completely and things started up and is allowing me to navigate around. I just did a delete/regen on the DB hopefully it's as simple as that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully. Well while you have it running, check and see if hardware acceleration is on. If it is, I suggest turning it off. Now with substreams, it spends more CPU% offloading HA than the CPU savings.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hopefully. Well while you have it running, check and see if hardware acceleration is on. If it is, I suggest turning it off. Now with substreams, it spends more CPU% offloading HA than the CPU savings.
hardware accelaration is on but my CPU is stable between 20-25% GPU at 12% and RAM is 1.35g of 32gb

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Says the guy with BI crashing on startup LOL...

Ok, but just keep in mind that around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. But if you use it, use plain intel.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I turned it off for the time being for safe measures. It's taking forever to rebuild the DB, slowly but surely.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many TB do you have? Most DB rebuilds don't take too much time.

Do you recall how many clips it said at the bottom? If over 200,000 it can start to get unstable.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How many TB do you have? Most DB rebuilds don't take too much time.

Do you recall how many clips it said at the bottom? If over 200,000 it can start to get unstable.
I can't say how many clips but I imagine not that much. Maybe 20-30k
My storage is setup as such

E: (dedicated 500gb SSD) - NEW and DB with 300gb allocated with "limit clip age" of 3 days
move to Store
F:\ - Store (6TB HDD) 5tb allocated for store after 14 days it move to my NAS with a 20 days clip age limit before it's deleted

I can't say this has been doing what I thought it should be doing since I find myself often having to clean up those storage manually.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are better off just putting it all on the F: HDD and just use NEW and not STORED.

No real advantage to using the SSD and you are shortening its life. And 300gb isn't that large so unless you only have a few cams or only record on motion it is probably hitting that limit quick.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are better off just putting it all on the F: HDD and just use NEW and not STORED.

No real advantage to using the SSD and you are shortening its life. And 300gb isn't that large so unless you only have a few cams or only record on motion it is probably hitting that limit quick.
When I had NEW on the HDD, I find that it's very slow at responding during playback. There are 3 cameras in the front of the house that are on constant recording the rest are on motion.

I'm moving out of this house and making it a short term rental so I'd like to have a fallback to review the clips when I'm gone for several months at a time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your clips and combine set at in BI?

Most here use 1 hour. But in my experience if you go much over 4GB the video gets difficult to open and playback becomes a chore.

Almost everyone here has their NEW on the HDD and do not experience slow responding during playback.

1678822746517.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh wow. Yeah at 1 hour you should have peppy playback.

What computer (i number and processor gen) and what kind of HDD (WD purple, etc.)?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh wow. Yeah at 1 hour you should have peppy playback.

What computer (i number and processor gen) and what kind of HDD (WD purple, etc.)?
It's an i7 6700 might be 7th or 8th gen? The 6tb is a Seagate enterprise 7200 RPM drive. I know people scream about purple etc.. but I've never had issues even with random drives in the past.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's an i7 6700 might be 7th or 8th gen? The 6tb is a Seagate enterprise 7200 RPM drive. I know people scream about purple etc.. but I've never had issues even with random drives in the past.
6th gen

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is very similar to yours.

View attachment 156872
From the help file..
The Cut video when triggered with break time option can be used with continuous
recording such that each new file created always begins with a trigger event. The cut will
occur only if there’s been at least a specified amount of time where the camera remained in
a non-triggered state (a break time).

You are creating a new video with every trigger where at least 5 seconds have elapsed between the last.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the help file..
The Cut video when triggered with break time option can be used with continuous
recording such that each new file created always begins with a trigger event. The cut will
occur only if there’s been at least a specified amount of time where the camera remained in
a non-triggered state (a break time).

You are creating a new video with every trigger where at least 5 seconds have elapsed between the last.
I think I see what this means now... is there a good rule of thumb for a break time? perhaps a minute or two?

btw: good news, it was a bad DB, system all good now

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I see what this means now... is there a good rule of thumb for a break time? perhaps a minute or two?

btw: good news, it was a bad DB, system all good now
I would not use that option at all. Let it combine into 1 hour clips.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alrite disabled that... also seems that by disabling hardware accellaration, it dropped CPU usage by about 10-15%. So far so good.