Blue Iris "deactivated" itself after I added a 2nd HDD

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I installed Blue Iris 5 (purchased from IPCamTalk) on a machine that only had an SSD drive to get it up and running, add cameras, and to learn the software a bit before my 4TB WD Purple arrived. Tonight I closed BI, shutdown the machine, and added the new 4TB drive. It was detected and I formatted it which went smoothly. I go to run BI and it's asking me for my Activation Key again? I don't want to 'use up' my key so I go look in Program Files and it looks like it's still installed. There are clips, camera names, etc. but for some reason it's like it forgot it was installed. I've tried running as Administrator and this didn't work (the 'User' application .exe doesn't work because it says you need to me Admin to run it).

Any help anyone could provide would be great. I googled and searched here but didn't find anything regarding adding a drive and this occurring.

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would not worry about using up the key. If you have problems you can contact @Mike if you purchased it from ipcamtalk. Adding a new disk or hardware changes should not effect the BI Key. I make changes in hardware a lot on my BI system.

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
I would not worry about using up the key. If you have problems you can contact @Mike if you purchased it from ipcamtalk. Adding a new disk or hardware changes should not effect the BI Key. I make changes in hardware a lot on my BI system.
Thanks for your reply. Can I import any settings and cameras I added? I didn't export any but it appears BI generates some backup files (I can see them in the folder structure). I just worry about gumming up the registry if I install it again?

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to keep BI installed on the SSD and use the HDD for storage.

I am reactivating. I haven't done it yet but I assumed I'd have to set everything up again because it seemed to have reverted to the non-activated/demo state.

deradams

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: I reactivated and it let me in without any problems except that it forgot one of my cameras. All appears to be working now except that I'm getting very low framerate when viewing the cam's live stream from my phone (via IpCamViewer android app) while Blue Iris is continuously recording?