Blue Iris demo version high CPU advice for developer

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I just rebuilt my security systems for two locations and decided to use blue iris.
I had downloaded the demo version twice before and was appalled by the high cpu usage so I stayed away.
This time I built two dell 9020mt i7's (advice from this forum) and took the time to tweak the installation of both windows 10 and blue iris demo. The first dell run it without a problem but i still thought cpu was a little too high. At this point I had invested some time in learning the software so I decided to just buy one licence and just roll it out on one machine till I figure out which way to go.
A few days down the road after i set all my cameras and saved my configuration I noticed the cpu cycles had dropped dramatically. I attributed it to the windows install and blue iris install being fresh and I thought it just stabilized after building the databases and such. I decided to run it on my second system as well and without thinking I copied and pasted the licence file that I previously bought for the first machine. Next day I noticed that the first machine changed to a demo version and then realized my mistake and proceeded to the store to buy a new license but stopped short after noticing the high cpu usage once more. The two systems are not in the same physical location, I couldn't check on the other one so I delayed buying until I was able to resolve the issue. (I could remote into it but I thought it might effect the cpu load anyway)
So... two identical computers with the same configuration on both software (they are clones) and different cpu usage. I couldn't figure it out but I have a busy life and bought the other licence anyway since its not that expensive.
GUESS WHAT. AS SOON AS I PUT THE LICENCE CODE IN AND RESTARTED....THE CPU USAGE DROPPED AGAIN!
I didnt really try to troubleshoot in depth but my opinion is that maybe the evaluation version does not implement the software correctly and it's probably costing the developer potential costumers who would otherwise buy the software. If this is by design I think its counter-productive. If I wanted people to try my product I would make sure it functions properly and maybe put a time limit on it rather than crippling its efficiency. Another idea might be to disclose this information up front or maybe limit the amount of cameras on the demo version.
Please understand that the above is only my opinion and is meant to serve as constructive criticism as well as feedback for the developer and is also I hope a way to reciprocate for the information I found on this forum
I currently run about 16 cameras all of them over 1 megapixel and cpu stays around 17%. The blue iris software could definitely be improved in many ways but none of those would stop me from buying it at that price. THE MAIN REASON PEOPLE TRY THIS PARTICULAR SOFTWARE FIRST IS TO FIGURE OUT THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF HARDWARE NEEDED FOR IT TO FUNCTION EFFICIENTLY _since it will be running 24-7 and has to be reliable_ and also to figure out if they can put it on an old computer (again ..this is only my opinion)

Anyway this is not a complaint. Blue Iris is definitely an excellent piece of software at this price point and as a non-pro I couldn't ask for more. I highly recommend it even for an i3.

Regards
Spiro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This has been known for years...If you want the developer to read your opinion you need to email support, he does not read the forum...

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I obviously didn't research enough because I haven't come across it. I also was under the impression that the developer had a presence in this forum I stand corrected

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope he doesn't, and Direct to Disc does not work in the Demo version, as designed. That's why you see the cpu useage difference.