Blue Iris dropping out and losing license key

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks

New to IP cameras and software, so very grateful for any help:

My neighbours and I run 3 x copies of Blue Iris on Win 7 PCs with IP cameras. All cameras work fine on the manufacturer's software (Reolink). All 3 license bought direct from developer.

Two systems keep losing their license keys and now do not respond to license key entry. Keys have been 'restarted' by support, but they seem to think that they have been entered into more than one PC - which they definitely haven't. The 3rd system runs perfectly.

The only difference that I can see is that the 3rd system has a static IP, the others do not. Do we need to run static ip or through something like No-IP to make these work reliably. Or is this something to do with the installations? (All set up by me - so I think they are the same).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

New to IP cameras and software, so very grateful for any help:

My neighbours and I run 3 x copies of Blue Iris on Win 7 PCs with IP cameras. All cameras work fine on the manufacturer's software (Reolink). All 3 license bought direct from developer.

Two systems keep losing their license keys and now do not respond to license key entry. Keys have been 'restarted' by support, but they seem to think that they have been entered into more than one PC - which they definitely haven't. The 3rd system runs perfectly.

The only difference that I can see is that the 3rd system has a static IP, the others do not. Do we need to run static ip or through something like No-IP to make these work reliably. Or is this something to do with the installations? (All set up by me - so I think they are the same).
the static ip is not relevant...
did you purchase from blueirissoftware.com or from somewhere else...
you should ask for new keys...

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Bought from blueiris and they have renewed keys twice. Read something about dhcp on router. Would I need to adjust router setup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Bought from blueiris and they have renewed keys twice. Read something about dhcp on router. Would I need to adjust router setup?
from blueirissoftware.com ?
The license key has nothing to do with your router settings...

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct. blueirissoftware.com

When the license code goes in it is fine for a few days (demo goes and full functionality), then it reverts to evaluation copy. Re-entering the license code works for a while then the same again. After a few times (4 or 5) the code is rejected and software is stuck on evaluation copy only.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. blueirissoftware.com

When the license code goes in it is fine for a few days (demo goes and full functionality), then it reverts to evaluation copy. Re-entering the license code works for a while then the same again. After a few times (4 or 5) the code is rejected and software is stuck on evaluation copy only.
are you certain you are not using one of the codes on different machines? if you are not, demand a new key.

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Definitely no cross over of codes. I have had the codes renewed and re-set one system today, and will try the other soon.

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine is starting to do this, especially after applying an update. The bugs in the software should be rectified regardless of which vendor you choose to purchase from.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is starting to do this, especially after applying an update. The bugs in the software should be rectified regardless of which vendor you choose to purchase from.

It's got nothing to do with the update...disable auto update...and wait before updating

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait for what exactly?

until the release has been out for some time...stop with the OCD installing updates every time a minor revision is released...its that simple..one of the greatest things about BI is the constant updates with new features at a pace of about twice a month...that does not mean you need to install it as soon as its released...wait a bit, you wont have problems...
The issue with the license key is not related to any updates...someone is using the same key..often times that occurs because sellers, either intentionally or unintentionally sell duplicate keys...that is why the vendor purchased from is relevant...support should not waste their time because someone decided to buy from ebay....that is your problem...
here is a great example of an ebay seller selling duplicate keys
Blue Iris keeps forgetting license

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's crazy! BI as the author should have stronger controls over the key generation and distribution. I've worked with many enterprise software companies and I can tell you this kind of stuff would never be seen nor tolerated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's crazy! BI as the author should have stronger controls over the key generation and distribution. I've worked with many enterprise software companies and I can tell you this kind of stuff would never be seen nor tolerated.
They ebay seller buys one key and sells it to two people, how is he supposed to control that??
dont like it, there are many other vms packages for you to go to...youll come crawling back..I have over 20 BI machines with all licenses purchased from the developer...no issues ever..you were cheap, now you have problems...

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought it from Amazon/Amcrest. Why shouldn't I expect product consistency? They (BI) can easily create unique keys on demand from their servers, hell even check for duplicates....just mimic the big boys :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought it from Amazon/Amcrest. Why shouldn't I expect product consistency? They (BI) can easily create unique keys on demand from their servers, hell even check for duplicates....just mimic the big boys :)
Product consistency? you relied on a reseller (whose principals have less then stellar reputations)...there is no way to control a reseller who mismanages the keys and sells more than one copy....
Blue iris DOES generate a unique key when you buy direct....when you decide to save a few bux and buy from amcrest, you rely and their honesty and competency to not sell you a key that they have sold to someone else...not sure what part of that you dont get...the EXACT same thing would happen with the "big boys" if a third party sold a key twice....next time ask yourself if the aggravation is worth the 15 dollars.

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - many thanks for your help. And I assure you, mine are all paid for from BI/Digital River. If problem re-occurs I will ask for a replacement key.

Doxxie881

n3wb
Reaction score
Fatso. Grateful if you could butt out and start your own thread. I am concerned with pukka BI purchases so please do not hijack with Amazon problems. Amazon are very good at honouring their sales so please take it up with them.