Blue Iris Emergency

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. My main two cameras recorded a very important event two days ago that now is gone. This saturday i was going to try out continuously recording. I changed the database path to a bigger ssd drive and made a new new profile for it. Let them run for a few hours, checked and all worked ok. Let it run overnight. Sunday changed to normal profile (trigger recording) and later turned on cont. recording again. Saturday my main cameras captured a VERY important event and i looked for it today and to my great distress seen that nothing was left of the saturday recording, just gone. Only sundays recordings. I guess BI bumped into the 10gb limit on recording size...? With trigger recording clips stay for quite long time.

What can i do to get the recordings back? Is it even possible...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Yikes, may be in a tough spot. So you say you changed the dbase path? Did you change the alert or storage path? Did you check the old path for anything? Did you rebuild the database (don't do this yet if you haven't)? If you want I can remote in and take a look for you, I hate to see important footage not be available. Shoot me a PM if you want me to remote in, I'll do it free of charge.

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Yikes, may be in a tough spot. So you say you changed the dbase path? Did you change the alert or storage path? Did you check the old path for anything? Did you rebuild the database (don't do this yet if you haven't)? If you want I can remote in and take a look for you, I hate to see important footage not be available. Shoot me a PM if you want me to remote in, I'll do it free of charge.
Yes i only changed the database path, thought that was all thats needed. When i look at the sunday recordings they are all on the original path C: the BI directory. No rebuild of the database. Thank you that's a very kind offer! Right now i removed both ssds c and d from the computer to prevent any further writing to the disks and will try to do a salvage scan for deleted files on another computer. Do BI continuously recording use one big file or does it split it up like with trigger recording?

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @IceCold

If you can definitely allow Mike to help out, this is actually an very good offer - normally I do not see other forums where someone is willing and able to assist in such a manner.
Thank you! Great forum, had much help reading topics here already.

Yes very kind of @Mike to offer assistance i sure will pick up on that if it can help but unfortunately it seems all the recording was done to the C drive and ran of of space pretty quick and then proceded to overwrite the previous recordings :(

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! Great forum, had much help reading topics here already.

Yes very kind of @Mike to offer assistance i sure will pick up on that if it can help but unfortunately it seems all the recording was done to the C drive and ran of of space pretty quick and then proceded to overwrite the previous recordings :(
Bummer, well the offer is still there if you want me to take a look. Just shoot me a PM

IceCold

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone know if continuously recording uses the same file all the time or split it in smaller pieces?

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is an option set in the record tab - combine and cut.
How does it behave when there is one or few big BVR files and it reaches the space limit? Does it delete the whole big file or starts overwriting portions of it?

Bigg1es

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to make sure nothing else is writing to the discs where you saved the material ( I think you have done this) and then attempt data recovery. If you were recording to a disc that was full, chances of data recovery are not good but if the video is very important it is perhaps worth a try. If there was plenty of space on the disc then the chances are better.