Blue Iris failing to detect motion for large objects

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris on a Dell Optiplex Dual Core 2.33 ghz with 8gb ram. We have 7 cameras (y-cam) all set to detect and record motion. All work fine except for the most important camera which is sited at the bottom of our drive pointing up torwards the garage - when a vehicle enters our drive it will typically enter the bottom field of the image, drive up to the garage and then round to our parking area on the right which is out of view of that camera. When a car or van comes up the drive, Blue Iris only seems to start recording about 8 seconds after the vehicle enters the bottom field of the image, so when I play back the recording all I see is the back of the vehicle next to the garage as it goes round to the right and out of view, there's no recording of the vehicle when it's right in front of the camera. If that same vehicle comes back down the drive, Blue Iris records everything right from the first moment it comes into view until it it goes out of view, as it should. Even more odd, if a person or even our cat walks up the drive it starts recording straight away, so the problem only seems to exist with large objects. Any ideas please?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris on a Dell Optiplex Dual Core 2.33 ghz with 8gb ram. We have 7 cameras (y-cam) all set to detect and record motion. All work fine except for the most important camera which is sited at the bottom of our drive pointing up torwards the garage - when a vehicle enters our drive it will typically enter the bottom field of the image, drive up to the garage and then round to our parking area on the right which is out of view of that camera. When a car or van comes up the drive, Blue Iris only seems to start recording about 8 seconds after the vehicle enters the bottom field of the image, so when I play back the recording all I see is the back of the vehicle next to the garage as it goes round to the right and out of view, there's no recording of the vehicle when it's right in front of the camera. If that same vehicle comes back down the drive, Blue Iris records everything right from the first moment it comes into view until it it goes out of view, as it should. Even more odd, if a person or even our cat walks up the drive it starts recording straight away, so the problem only seems to exist with large objects. Any ideas please?
If you have "Object detection" selected in your "Motion sensor" settings, you may need to edit your "Object size exceeds" setting. I have mine set at 85% because I had the same problem you describe. You will find the setting at Camera properties\Trigger\Motion sensor Configure\Object detection Edit\Object size exceeds.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I've changed that setting and I'll see how it goes this afternoon, however, how can this explain why a cat triggers it to record immediatey but a large van doesn't?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've changed that setting and I'll see how it goes this afternoon, however, how can this explain why a cat triggers it to record immediatey but a large van doesn't?
Yes..that setting is designed to do just that....it's designed for lighting changes...

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is an excerpt from Blue Iris help documentation. "Use the Object size exceeds setting to reset the motion detector when very large objects are detected. This will help to prevent false positive triggering in the event of scene or major lighting changes."

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok we've tried it now set at 85% and when a car arrived it didn't record anything at all! As that setting is called 'object size exceeds' wouldn't one assume that the percentage refers to the whole image so that a setting of 85% would require an object filling at least 85% of the image to trigger recording...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok we've tried it now set at 85% and when a car arrived it didn't record anything at all! As that setting is called 'object size exceeds' wouldn't one assume that the percentage refers to the whole image so that a setting of 85% would require an object filling at least 85% of the image to trigger recording...
first, disable it and see what happens. this will confirm that this is your issue..for all we know you may be another setting that is incorrect...post your settings as well as a video of what is happening..
85% would mean that if the object fills 85 percent of the image it will NOT record and reset the detection...

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it 85% of the entire image or 85% of the active zone?

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I've disabled 'object size' and will report back once I've had a chance to monitor performance.

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the Record tab for the cameras, under Options, you can set a Pre-trigger video buffer in seconds. You might play around with that. Do note though that in the Help documentation it talks about enabling this can impact performance so keep that in mind as you test.

bricklayer1807

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Results: When I disabled the 'object size exceeds' it kept making recordings almost constantly - most of the frame contained dappled shade and light caused by a tree moving in the breeze so this probably caused it. Then I re-enabled 'object size exceeds' and set it to 90%, now it seems to work perfectly. It records every time it should do and not at all when it should not. I can see now that if I pause the recording when a car first enters the image it does actually fill up at least 80% of the frame so I can see how with the default setting (67%?) it was not recording. Is this 'object size exceeds' a new faeture on the latest version of Blue Iris? as we never seemed to have this problem in the past. Also, what would be a typical setting for small object size (sensitivity)? Mine is currently set on 240 pixels for that camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The features has been there for well over a year...there is no typical setting because it will vary by camera fov and distance of object your want to capture..

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's been windy here for almost a week now, so I've had opportunity to tweek to try to get rid of most of the false triggers due to tree sway & fast light changes due clouds.

I have 'object size exceeds' at 60%. When I increased 'Min. duration' to 1 second, it eliminated 99% of these types of triggers. And, I still get the same foot & car traffic.