blue iris for 250 cameras at 4mp

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I know BI is not deisgned for large deployments but what would be the cons of using it in a 250 of 4mp @ 15fps camera setup with them running detection based on time profile.
would this server be enough?

that would be an mp of 15,000
dell r3930
windows 10
Intel Core i9-9900K,(8 Core, 16MB Cache, 3.6Ghz, 5 Ghz Turbo w/UHD Graphics 630)
64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2666MHz UDIMM Non-ECC Memory
Nvidia Quadro P2200, 5GB, 4 DP
4 x 2.5" 1TB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive in raid 10
25gb nic

recording direct to disk in a 54 disk array nas
25gb nic

recording format h264
30 of them running detection always
with 5 viewing clients all time

I currently have a r3930 in my house with similar specs but only recording 6 cameras, pending install 19 more. I need to do cable managment to existing rack before I add more.

thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe BI maxes out at 64 cameras. For 250 you'll need a commercial product with a cost per camera which will make it quite expensive, as in $75-$100 per camera or maybe even more. It may be better, in the end to use multiple systems using BI, but that becomes a management headache and a half.

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
is that a new limit? the largest system I have seen posted here on BI is 94 and 103 cameras from last year.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is that a new limit? the largest system I have seen posted here on BI is 94 and 103 cameras from last year.

Note, he's running BI on FIVE servers. So all those cams are divided up amongst them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
He states five servers running 114 cameras. The one sever running the stream could be streaming the output of all five other servers, so it only sees five cameras. If you want verification, simply send an email to BI support.

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you sebastian for the clarification on the camera limit. just trying to think of a cost effective way to do it.
at 75-100 per cam it gets expensive.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Bottom line, from my perspective, would be a minimum of four, maxed out, servers running 60+ cameras each, with a fifth one running the feeds from those four so you had one screen with all cameras and could select a "group" that would actually be one server. Either way it's too many cameras to be able to see, effectively, even 60+ at a time without multiple monitors all running fairly high resolution. With that many cameras there isn't a cheap, easy, solution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It will display whatever the four client servers show on their screens. I don't think it can be configured to trigger itself based on what they send it. I'm not a BI expert so I could easily be wrong about that. For example, what you could do is configure the four servers to go to full screen on an alert which would show up on the fifth, amalgamating, server. Problem is when more than one camera on those four servers triggers at the same time. Too much can be missed.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this for a mission critical business client? If so, no way I would whitebox this. Buy enterprise hardware (Dell, HPE, etc...) and get support.

Also, I wouldn't think BI would be the best solution for this. As much as this will cost you need some kind of better support for when stuff breaks than the email support that BI provides.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Call in the Pentagon and US Department of Defense ;) pun intended

Fortinet is another option

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you that 20 cameras on a 43" monitor is about all you can see clearly until you are really close.
Get ready for several monitors if you want all of them to be visible at once.
If you figure the load on the network of 250 cameras at 4K, you will have to do some network planning.

The only way I could see it work is, 4-6 Blue Iris running with the cameras spread across them.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
what software options are best suited and comparable feature wise to blue iris?
Milestone would work but I hope you back up the Brinks truck.

You really should be looking at hiring a professional installer and working with them. Anyone who is going to be willing to shell out the money for a system like this will involve will want it done right the 1st time.

Last edited:

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
Any opinions on this system, why so cheap only $15k for server with license for 300 cameras. Am I missing something?
at that price I can get 2 for a hot spare and a different location with a 10gb connection.

storage wise I was thinking an enterprise dell file server for 1 petabyte.

mercer2

n3wb
Reaction score
Also just for disclosure, Im very proficient in IT.
I have a few servers and a full datacenter in my house, with full production environments in VMWARE vSPHERE 6.7
full layer 3 networks configurations
VOIP FreePBX server
linux
video over ip 4k 60p hdr
plus I have deployed a few avigilon systems in the past a few years ago.
for this project Im just evaluating my options for best value possible.
all your input has been amazing, and greatly appreciated.
here is the server room in my house.

Attachments

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
Also just for disclosure, Im very proficient in IT.
I have a few servers and a full datacenter in my house, with full production environments in VMWARE vSPHERE 6.7
full layer 3 networks configurations
VOIP FreePBX server
linux
video over ip 4k 60p hdr
plus I have deployed a few avigilon systems in the past a few years ago.
for this project Im just evaluating my options for best value possible.
all your input has been amazing, and greatly appreciated.
here is the server room in my house.
If you're just going for something cheap, might be worth looking at a Synology sized for that type of solution. At least then you get footage authentication.
Regardless, BI isn't the solution you're looking for with those requirements.