Blue Iris geofence fundamentals

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All,
From my research and experimentation, it seems that I must have GPS running and the BI phone app running (and in the foreground) for geofencing to work. I would prefer to be wrong on this, as these requirements seem unreasonable and impractical. Battery life and impact on a smartphone's real-world use cases would be two potential show stoppers for me.
Am I wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,
From my research and experimentation, it seems that I must have GPS running and the BI phone app running (and in the foreground) for geofencing to work. I would prefer to be wrong on this, as these requirements seem unreasonable and impractical. Battery life and impact on a smartphone's real-world use cases would be two potential show stoppers for me.
Am I wrong?
You are not wrong...it's gps based.... you'll survive without geofencing... I don't use it...
Many folks leave gps to be able to track their phones in case of loss..

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
GPS definitely needs tp be running, however the Blue Iris mobile app does not at least not on iOS. Also GPS running does take up a little battery but if there isn't a problem with the phone it shouldn't affect it that much. With an iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 we usually have 60%+ left at the end of the day, and that is with using the GPS for Geofencing in multiple apps including BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes to clarify it's only the gps that needs to be on..

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All,
Thanks for the quick responses. Geofencing does not trigger exit or entry events unless BI is running and in the foreground on my SG7. Thinking I may have missed a configuration step?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All,
Thanks for the quick responses. Geofencing does not trigger exit or entry events unless BI is running and in the foreground on my SG7. Thinking I may have missed a configuration step?
Check that your phone or an app you installed is not force closing the app to save power

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On iOS you can control for each app if it can access location information Always, when running, or never. I don't remember from my time with Android if it had something similar or not,I'm guessing there is though in the settings.

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps you can help clear up some confusion for me: Is the app required to be running or no? If yes, foreground? Fenderman: above, you mention that only GPS needs to be running. On my SG7, it's only when I bring the BI app to the foreground that an exit/entry event triggers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can help clear up some confusion for me: Is the app required to be running or no? If yes, foreground? Fenderman: above, you mention that only GPS needs to be running. On my SG7, it's only when I bring the BI app to the foreground that an exit/entry event triggers.
it does not have to be running in the foreground...but it must be running in the background otherwise like any other app it could not get the notification...

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. So we have some unexpected/undesirable behavior. I just updated my Android BI app; I'll retest the behavior.

Don Couchman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. So we have some unexpected/undesirable behavior. I just updated my Android BI app; I'll retest the behavior.
Ok, here's the update: I have to be logged into my phone, with the BI app in the foreground, for the geofence event to trigger. That would not seem to be correct behavior.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the update: I have to be logged into my phone, with the BI app in the foreground, for the geofence event to trigger. That would not seem to be correct behavior.
check for apps or a samsung settings that force closes the apps as stated earlier..

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Android, but in iOS you have to set the geofence location within the app.

IMG_2190.png