Blue Iris Hardware Decode Option?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run BI5 on a fast Intel PC. Under camera settings, video tab, there is a "hardware decode" setting. My cameras are all on "default". Should I change to either "Intel", "Intel +VPP" or "Intel Beta"?

Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're using sub streams there is no reason to use hardware acceleration. Since sub stream support was added to Blue Iris hardware acceleration has become a little problematic and can produce bad results. You're better off using sub streams and shutting off all hardware acceleration. Sub streams will reduce CPU utilization far more, by a factor of five to as much as fifteen, than hardware acceleration can.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I am clearly the grasshopper here and need some master help.

I have never understood why or how to use substreams. My camera settings show they have a much lower resolution by default. I believe when I view my cameras in BI, I'm looking at the main, full resolution stream. Please educate me about substreams. How do I use them to decrease CPU utilization and how do you set that up in BI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lucky for you there is a wiki LOL.

It is as simple as going into the camera settings in BI where you put in IP address and user and password and about halfway down is the option to select substreams from a pull-down.

Now the first thing you will see is that the resolution on mutli-view will go from what you see now mainstream to substream.

it will take getting used to, but usually you wait a day or so, it is fine. If not then go into the camera GUI and up the bitrate of the substream.

If you use BI motion, you may need to set up the motion zones again as the substream image may be at a different size than the mainstream.

Then you need to decide if you want to remain recording continuous mainstream or go to cont+triggered which will record substream until motion and then go to mainstream for the event and then go back to substream. This will save a lot of storage.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The short answer is to add sub streams to the video configuration page of each camera. That is done by using "find and inspect" then selecting the appropriate sub stream. Yes the sub stream is lower resolution but you can set the sub stream, in the camera to alleviate that for the most part. I used a CBR, 2048, D1, configuration for the sub streams. When the camera is triggered it will switch to the main stream for the duration of the event. That is what is most important, at least to me.

Have a look in the WiKi in the blue bar at the top of the page. There's a sub stream guide in there of have a look at these links -

Sub streams in BI

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. I will look at the wiki and links provided. I haven't delved into more advanced settings with my BI recording. I have large hard drives so I have just been recording continuously. I haven't set up motion triggers on my cameras. I'm sure there are many good reasons to do so. But I thought if everything is recorded, are motion triggers that useful?

So, if I use a sub stream to go to Blue Iris, is that what you see in a single camera live view, or does it only affect the multi-view page? Also, will BI just record the sub stream, unless I set up motion triggers?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Motion triggers are useful to help dial in when an event may have happened.. or to set up alerts to notify you.

When running substreams, when you solo a camera it will go to mainstream.

If you just leave recording to continuous then you will get 24/7 mainstream recording.

You will see you CPU drop a lot just turning on substreams.

OfficerD00fy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're using sub streams there is no reason to use hardware acceleration. Since sub stream support was added to Blue Iris hardware acceleration has become a little problematic and can produce bad results. You're better off using sub streams and shutting off all hardware acceleration. Sub streams will reduce CPU utilization far more, by a factor of five to as much as fifteen, than hardware acceleration can.
So with hardware acceleration no longer required then that would mean AMD CPU's are viable options?
I only ask this as I have the below system

I7 6700K + 1060 6GB GPU.

I have a spare AMD System with Ryzen 5 2600. Passmark is 13000 Points where as I7 6700K is only 9000 Points.
I am using the 1060 6GB for Codeproject SenseAI.

I am leaning towards the Ryzen 5 2600 just because down the track if I really wanted to I could install any AMD CPU (3700X,5900X etc).