Blue iris help

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that i am getting into the Dahua cameras my laview nvr just is not cutting it for me any longer. So i have a few questions. Do you see any issues in the plan listed below. I have been watching ebay for an optiplex but i have best buy gift cards and amazon gift cards and can eliminate coming out of pocket for this and leaving money to eventually get a few Dahua turrets when they ever come back into stock. Other than the two items below and buying Blue Iris, Am i missing anything? and will this work? I thought about tossing blue iris on the computer running my plex server but its only an dual core i3-4360 CPU , and i watched it spiking to 90% on the cpu while transcoding the other night.

current cameras 3 laview 1080p 1 dahua starlight bullet and 1 wireless 1080p

Computer $379.00
Acer - Refurbished Aspire Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive

6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-6400 processor
8gb ram
2tb hd
will add a 4tb purple for blue iris

and a POE switch that i have yet to pick out and looking for suggestions on that. i appreciate any help or suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that i am getting into the Dahua cameras my laview nvr just is not cutting it for me any longer. So i have a few questions. Do you see any issues in the plan listed below. I have been watching ebay for an optiplex but i have best buy gift cards and amazon gift cards and can eliminate coming out of pocket for this and leaving money to eventually get a few Dahua turrets when they ever come back into stock. Other than the two items below and buying Blue Iris, Am i missing anything? and will this work? I thought about tossing blue iris on the computer running my plex server but its only an dual core i3-4360 CPU , and i watched it spiking to 90% on the cpu while transcoding the other night.

current cameras 3 laview 1080p 1 dahua starlight bullet and 1 wireless 1080p

Computer $379.00
Acer - Refurbished Aspire Desktop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive

6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-6400 processor
8gb ram
2tb hd
will add a 4tb purple for blue iris

and a POE switch that i have yet to pick out and looking for suggestions on that. i appreciate any help or suggestions.
Sell your gift cards and buy an optiplex...
See my comments here on the newer model of that system.
Acer i5-7400 3.0GHz system - $399
8 port poe (7 cams) managed and gigabit Amazon.com: ZyXEL 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed PoE Switch with 70 Watt Budget - Fanless Design [GS1900-8HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sell your gift cards and buy an optiplex...
See my comments here on the newer model of that system.
Acer i5-7400 3.0GHz system - $399
8 port poe (7 cams) managed and gigabit Amazon.com: ZyXEL 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed PoE Switch with 70 Watt Budget - Fanless Design [GS1900-8HP]: Computers & Accessories
I have not been able to figure out how many sata connections the SFF have. I have been looking at ones like this Dell OptiPlex 7040 SFF Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz C895 | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not been able to figure out how many sata connections the SFF have. I have been looking at ones like this Dell OptiPlex 7040 SFF Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz C895 | eBay
The small sff only has room for a single 3.5 drive, you can squeeze a 2.5 in there mounted to the case...and it has an m.2 slot..if you are looking for room, look at hp elitedesk systems that have room for a 2.5 and 3.5 in the sff (an additional 2.5 if you remove the dvd) or 2x3.5 and 1x2.5 in the tower.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The small sff only has room for a single 3.5 drive, you can squeeze a 2.5 in there mounted to the case...and it has an m.2 slot..if you are looking for room, look at hp elitedesk systems that have room for a 2.5 and 3.5 in the sff (an additional 2.5 if you remove the dvd) or 2x3.5 and 1x2.5 in the tower.
ok thank you for the suggestions!