Blue Iris - High CPU - I know...

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know...the high CPU usage question. Here is the thing; I have been running Blue Iris for over 6 months with 9 4MP hikvision turrets at about 60% CPU recording at 20FPS on motion. I have the format set to Blue Iris Video and Direct-to-Disk (D2D) set. This is how I initially set it up. I have the computer restricted by a firewall so no traffic is allowed out to the internet so Windows Updates or Blue Iris have not updated. In an attempt to resolve the issue I have updated BI and the OS; to no avail.

1. Direct to Disk
2. Blue Iris Video Format
3. Text Overlay Disabled
4. 20FPS set on all cameras
5. No AV running, and Windows Defender is disabled.

PC: Dell XPS 8900
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745

In Use:
Blue Iris Version: Release 4.5.3.7 x64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3048 Mhz 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Procs [100%]
RAM: 3.19G

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know...the high CPU usage question. Here is the thing; I have been running Blue Iris for over 6 months with 9 4MP hikvision turrets at about 60% CPU recording at 20FPS on motion. I have the format set to Blue Iris Video and Direct-to-Disk (D2D) set. This is how I initially set it up. I have the computer restricted by a firewall so no traffic is allowed out to the internet so Windows Updates or Blue Iris have not updated. In an attempt to resolve the issue I have updated BI and the OS; to no avail.

1. Direct to Disk
2. Blue Iris Video Format
3. Text Overlay Disabled
4. 20FPS set on all cameras
5. No AV running, and Windows Defender is disabled.

PC: Dell XPS 8900
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745

In Use:
Blue Iris Version: Release 4.5.3.7 x64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3048 Mhz 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Procs [100%]
RAM: 3.19G

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Step one: remove nvidia card.
Step two: enable hardware acceleration in BI. NO-VPP
Step three: watch cpu drop significantly.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I read that, however I wasn't sure if it had built in Intel HD? Also - why the significant increase out of no where?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I read that, however I wasn't sure if it had built in Intel HD? Also - why the significant increase out of no where?
it does, there is an hdmi port on the mobo connections..
are you saying its now at 100%? its unclear from your post. if so then there is also something else going on...hard to know..
How are you measuring cpu? are you looking at a local monitor? remoting in?
regardless, its silly to keep the card in..you are paying more (electricity usage) for worse performance.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear. It used to run at 60% CPU and randomly it jumped to 100% now and is pegged.

FYI - I just removed the card, and set hardware acel and rebooting now. This may help but there is something else going on. This is a dedicated PC with nothing else installed on it.

CPU is at 0% when BI is not running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear. It used to run at 60% CPU and randomly it jumped to 100% now and is pegged.

FYI - I just removed the card, and set hardware acel and rebooting now. This may help but there is something else going on. This is a dedicated PC with nothing else installed on it.

CPU is at 0% when BI is not running.
if usage is still high, disable one camera at a time and see if one is causing an issue..

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After removing the card, and enabling HDW Acel its at 55% with 9 4MP cams. So like you said it dropped significantly. I didn't realize it had an onboard graphics card or I would have done this a long time ago. This still doesn't explain the recent spike in CPU. I wonder if it should be lower?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After removing the card, and enabling HDW Acel its at 55% with 9 4MP cams. So like you said it dropped significantly. I didn't realize it had an onboard graphics card or I would have done this a long time ago. This still doesn't explain the recent spike in CPU. I wonder if it should be lower?
it doesnt...it might be lower...its hard to tell..too many variables...you do have a significant load, but i would have guessed about 30-40 percent...if you were running 60 before, then that is what I would expect with HA (30-40)...otherwise all you are seeing is a small 8 percent drop..

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just found this out becuase I recently got one of my cars burglarized. I would like to change the cams to continuous while still marking when motion occurred so I don't have to forward through hours of video. Is that an easy change?

They were able to identify the person from the video and snapshots I took. That was good.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just found this out becuase I recently got one of my cars burglarized. I would like to change the cams to continuous while still marking when motion occurred so I don't have to forward through hours of video. Is that an easy change?

They were able to identify the person from the video and snapshots I took. That was good.
yes, simply set all cams to continuous (NOT the other options)...ensure you do this for EACH camera AND each profile..the settings are profile specific...
all motion events will still be marked..

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I changed all cameras to "continuous" on the Record tab. I wasn't sure if I had to make another adjustment so it was marked. Since you are full of answers tonight, I have one more stupid question.

I have a 3TB drive and and a 1TB drive. Is there a way to make it write to both? Like a disk pool? Thanks again, it is much appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I changed all cameras to "continuous" on the Record tab. I wasn't sure if I had to make another adjustment so it was marked. Since you are full of answers tonight, I have one more stupid question.

I have a 3TB drive and and a 1TB drive. Is there a way to make it write to both? Like a disk pool? Thanks again, it is much appreciated!
you can simply split the load...2 to the 1tb... 6 to the 3tb...setup aux folders in clips and archiving then in the cameras record tab point them to the proper folder.

trock

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't know if there was a disk pool feature where you add all the HDDs to a group.

Now with the GUI minimized I am hovering around 30-40%.

Thanks for all the help tonight Fenderman! Much appreciated!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't know if there was a disk pool feature where you add all the HDDs to a group.

Now with the GUI minimized I am hovering around 30-40%.

Thanks for all the help tonight Fenderman! Much appreciated!!
windows can do it, but its actually better to split the load...you also have some footage available even if one drive fails.