Blue Iris Live and Playback is Choppy or skipping

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been researching this forum for weeks now. I'm still unable to find a solution. I will list my problem, and my hardware specs.

Here is my Problem: My live view is slightly choppy or like its skipping a frame every 1/2 second or so. You especially see this when a car drives by. Now my recording is the same but more pronounced. It looks like the camera paused for a millisecond and then starts playing again "Choppy". So if a car traveling 25mph drives by my house it will go-pause-go-pause-go-etc..
I have tried several tweaks or changes and non really fixes the problem, the changes just make the choppiness fewer or every 2 seconds or so.

Here is my Hardware/Blue Iris:
PC -
I7 2600 3770, 16GB DDR, 500gb SSD 860 EVO, GTX 970 video card.
Blue Iris - 4.6.9.5 update made worse so I went back to this update#, live preview 20fps, IntelHD "off"
Blue Iris Cam Properties - Max FPS - 25fps, receive buffer 20MB, pre trigger 5secs, Direct to Disc
(2) Camera - Dahua DH-SD22404T-GN, H.265, 4MP, CBR 4096 @ 20fps, Iframes 20fps, no sd card
Switch - BV-Tech 4 Port PoE+ item Model POE-SW502
Wire - CAT6 UTP Booted 10gigabits 550mhz "100% Copper" wire, each camera has 100ft wire to it
I have "Ping" the cameras and out of 20 packets there was 0% packet loss on each camera.

I have tried many different settings with no prevail and I am trying to figure out why I am not getting a clear picture on all cameras. I hope I was detailed enough and I appreciate all your help! THANK YOU

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Read this and implement: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

Is your PC an I7 2600 or 3770? It can't be both. I believe both, although somewhat older, support Quicksync so you can use Hardware Acceleration. (See Wiki) Get rid of video card to use on board graphics for Quicksync>HA.
You also don't mention the CPU utilization % (bottom right BI console)
Live preview rate too high. Try 5-8 fps.
Camera FPS too high. Try 10.

Are you using H264?

Again all in the Wiki.

Good luck!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been researching this forum for weeks now. I'm still unable to find a solution. I will list my problem, and my hardware specs.

Here is my Problem: My live view is slightly choppy or like its skipping a frame every 1/2 second or so. You especially see this when a car drives by. Now my recording is the same but more pronounced. It looks like the camera paused for a millisecond and then starts playing again "Choppy". So if a car traveling 25mph drives by my house it will go-pause-go-pause-go-etc..
I have tried several tweaks or changes and non really fixes the problem, the changes just make the choppiness fewer or every 2 seconds or so.

Here is my Hardware/Blue Iris:
PC -
I7 2600 3770, 16GB DDR, 500gb SSD 860 EVO, GTX 970 video card.
Blue Iris - 4.6.9.5 update made worse so I went back to this update#, live preview 20fps, IntelHD "off"
Blue Iris Cam Properties - Max FPS - 25fps, receive buffer 20MB, pre trigger 5secs, Direct to Disc
(2) Camera - Dahua DH-SD22404T-GN, H.265, 4MP, CBR 4096 @ 20fps, Iframes 20fps, no sd card
Switch - BV-Tech 4 Port PoE+ item Model POE-SW502
Wire - CAT6 UTP Booted 10gigabits 550mhz "100% Copper" wire, each camera has 100ft wire to it
I have "Ping" the cameras and out of 20 packets there was 0% packet loss on each camera.

I have tried many different settings with no prevail and I am trying to figure out why I am not getting a clear picture on all cameras. I hope I was detailed enough and I appreciate all your help! THANK YOU
Ensure you are not using the smart codec in the dahua camera video settings.
is the pc connected to the same switch as the cameras? or is the pc connected to the router?

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanxs for the Super Fast Reply!

NoloC:
PC is a I7 3770, CPU usage is 19% , all (2) Cams are set to H265
Seems like a LIVE! preview of 10FPS is really choppy too. Not smooth at all, is this normal?

fenderman:
SVC (smart video codec) is not an option when I click H265 , PC is connected to my wired Router (WNDR3800) and the POE+ switch is connected to it all using the 100% copper CAT6 100ft cable. 0% packet lose after 20times to each camera.

Forgot to mention this is Window 7 so will the Intel HD acceleration work?
Another question is, what would be a good Version of Blue Iris to update to? The newest update 4.8.2.3 made everything really bad.

I have been banging my head for months and I finally said its time to get some expert opinions!
Thanks Again!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Connect the BI pc directly to the same switch the cams are connected to. Some routers can't handle the traffic.
The latest version 4.8.2.3 is working fine for me and many others.
Have you performed all the steps in the link: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Any antivirus software running? Did you you exclude all the BI folders from it?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try switching the cameras to H264. H265 requires more processing power (roughly 2x more) to decode and can cause the choppiness. I don't think your CPU can use Quicksync with H265 either, but it may work with H264.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
looney2ns:
First, I love your Avatar looney2ns - "We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny F***ing Kaye." Christmas Vacation!
I will try connecting the Switch directly to the PC and test it that way. I am running AVG antivirus. Not sure what you mean by - "Did you you exclude all the BI folders from it?"

DognamedTank:
LOL, I just did that about 15mins ago. Going to try it and see how it does. I'll keep you up to date!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looney2ns:
First, I love your Avatar looney2ns - "We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny F***ing Kaye." Christmas Vacation!
I will try connecting the Switch directly to the PC and test it that way. I am running AVG antivirus. Not sure what you mean by - "Did you you exclude all the BI folders from it?"

DognamedTank:
LOL, I just did that about 15mins ago. Going to try it and see how it does. I'll keep you up to date!
As per the BI help file. Any antivirus needs to have exceptions configured so that it does not scan or watch any of the Blue Iris folders.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Antivirus - added exceptions. Where can i find a guide to plugging the switch directly into the PC?

I went back to H265 since H264 didn't help. I also enabled Intel videopostproc. Stil the same CPU is at 19% 943.mb RAM 20FPS at the camera and 25 at BI.

Its like a heart beat every sec even just trees moving. The Iframes are set to the same 20/20. ONE THING I have noticed is if I set the Iframes to a higher number 20/40 the skip gets farther apart. Like every 2 secs. I dont know!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Antivirus - added exceptions. Where can i find a guide to plugging the switch directly into the PC?

I went back to H265 since H264 didn't help. I also enabled Intel videopostproc. Stil the same CPU is at 19% 943.mb RAM 20FPS at the camera and 25 at BI.

Its like a heart beat every sec even just trees moving. The Iframes are set to the same 20/20. ONE THING I have noticed is if I set the Iframes to a higher number 20/40 the skip gets farther apart. Like every 2 secs. I dont know!
just plug the blue iris pc into the switch and the switch into the router...
dont waste money on cables unless you used junk - what cables did you use?
post a video of what you are seeing.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
never heard of them...
try the other solution first.
if that doesnt resolve it pull an rtsp steam to vlc and see if the problem exists...
Do those cables seem like they would be fine??? I did a 20packet Ping to each camera with 0% Packet lose!
Also, The Switch is a POE+ switch. The switch is in the attic where all the camera plug ends come to meet and they plug into the switch.
Here is my setup now:

Last edited:

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
So you are saying to do this way?
again, forget the cables, change the setup first.
Are you thinking it maybe the Router causing this?
I will try tomorrow and let you know what I find out when its daylight and cars are driving by. Thank You!

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
again, forget the cables, change the setup first.
Ok this is how I hooked it up. Please forgive me for being ignorant to what your trying to find out. I still had the same results (choppy). I will post video today on YouTube showing what I am seeing. I don't know how to edit video. I will do the rstp to VLC as well. Could it be THE SWITCH?
Again Thank You for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok this is how I hooked it up. Please forgive me for being ignorant to what your trying to find out. I still had the same results (choppy). I will post video today on YouTube showing what I am seeing. I don't know how to edit video. I will do the rstp to VLC as well. Could it be THE SWITCH?

could be many things..that is why you need to test vlc, if the problem exists in vlc, then its not blue iris and we can test further.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

This is correct now.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
This is correct now.
Yes but how am I going to daisy chain to another switch? This switch has 2 input/output and 4 input POE+. You can Daisy Chain these. This is what i intended to do and put another one in my garage (buried cable) The way it is now one input is taken up by the PC and the other by the Router. No input/output to Daisy Chain to another one. Below is the switch I am using.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it is not a BI problem if it is the same with VLC.

Looks like a low frame rate on the cams. You could use the BI Status window to see what the FPS reported is.