Blue Iris Live View Video Jumpy

Reaction score
I have an Axis Q3505 that I am streaming through BI and every second or so the image will jump. I am not recording and have also found that when viewing the camera through the Axis web browser it is perfectly smooth.

The FPS are set to 20 but I am getting an error indicator in BI and it shows the FPS as only around 4-5.

Any help with troubleshooting this is appreciated.

Further details:

Hardware Decoding is set to Yes + VPP (Not sure this applies for live streaming)
Bit Rate is hovering around 650 kB/s
FPS is around 4 fps
PC has a i7-6700k with 16 gB ram
CPU is running at 15%-20% with BI and Axis Web Interface streaming live
The video is on the water and in between when the video jumps the stream is relatively smooth as you can see a smooth rippling of the water before it jumps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Axis Q3505 that I am streaming through BI and every second or so the image will jump. I am not recording and have also found that when viewing the camera through the Axis web browser it is perfectly smooth.

The FPS are set to 20 but I am getting an error indicator in BI and it shows the FPS as only around 4-5.

Any help with troubleshooting this is appreciated.

Further details:

Hardware Decoding is set to Yes + VPP (Not sure this applies for live streaming)
Bit Rate is hovering around 650 kB/s
FPS is around 4 fps
PC has a i7-6700k with 16 gB ram
CPU is running at 15%-20% with BI and Axis Web Interface streaming live
The video is on the water and in between when the video jumps the stream is relatively smooth as you can see a smooth rippling of the water before it jumps.
have you tried disabling vpp? and/or HA acceleration in general?
Are you running the demo?
What is the iframe/GOP length interval setting in the camera?

Reaction score
have you tried disabling vpp? and/or HA acceleration in general?
Are you running the demo?
What is the iframe/GOP length interval setting in the camera?
Hi Fenderman

I have tried to disable VPP and hardware decoding all together with no noticeable change (visibly).

I am running the purchased version of BI.

The GOP length is set to 62.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman

I have tried to disable VPP and hardware decoding all together with no noticeable change (visibly).

I am running the purchased version of BI.

The GOP length is set to 62.
try matching the gop length to the frame rate...also post an image of your blue iris and axis video settings..
increase the receive buffer in blue iris video settings

Reaction score
try matching the gop length to the frame rate...also post an image of your blue iris and axis video settings..
increase the receive buffer in blue iris video settings
I reduced the GOP to 30 and then down to 7 but all it did was make the Axis video stream behave like the BI one is.

I increased the buffer to 20 mb with not noticeable change.

I then reduced the fps in BI down to 15 and that seemed to do away with the irregular jumpyness but it now makes more frequent but regular smaller jumps.

One thing that I don't understand is why would the framerate in BI be hovering from 4-7 fps when the camera is capable of 60 fps and the settings are set to 30 fps? If it were a bandwidth issue, why is only BI effected?

Could a bad RJ45 connection cause these types of issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I reduced the GOP to 30 and then down to 7 but all it did was make the Axis video stream behave like the BI one is.

I increased the buffer to 20 mb with not noticeable change.

I then reduced the fps in BI down to 15 and that seemed to do away with the irregular jumpyness but it now makes more frequent but regular smaller jumps.

One thing that I don't understand is why would the framerate in BI be hovering from 4-7 fps when the camera is capable of 60 fps and the settings are set to 30 fps? If it were a bandwidth issue, why is only BI effected?

Could a bad RJ45 connection cause these types of issue?
You should remove all variables and test with a short cable.... A bad connection can cause issues like this because packets are being dropped