Blue Iris missing vcruntime140.dll

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 5 installed on a Dell 9020 I7. The only thing the computer is used for is to host BI.

I noticed this morning that the BI is dead in the water. When I try to start it, I get the error vcruntime140.dll is missing. I think I have a paid support plan, but I cant even get into the program to start a support ticket with their link.

I tried repairing the program and got the same error.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Viewing other threads I see I posed without reading enough. I have tried upgrading the redistributable package (at least I think I did) with no luck. Since I can't get BI to start, I cant use the build in updater either.

Still need help. Thanks!

Last edited:

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just now got into the same boat.

suggestion to re-run VCREDIST got me started in the right direction; though it took a bit more for me to get going again.

C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\
  1. stop Blue Iris Service (if running as a service)
  2. run vcredist
  3. reboot as prompted
  4. stop Blue Iris Service (if running as a service)
  5. run update
  6. reboot
BI starts... will have to wait and see if this is "it" or if something else pops up.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank 'yall for your help! This cost me over a year of video.

I got it working, but I seem to have lost about 1 year of saved videos in the process, even after a database rebuild.

This may have happened because I accidentally started an old version 4 software that was still on the computer on the version 5 data. This happened when I clicked a link I thought was V5, but actually V4. I had never uninstalled V4

Oddly, I still have a few videos showing up from Jul 2018, but most are not there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank 'yall for your help! This cost me over a year of video.

I got it working, but I seem to have lost about 1 year of saved videos in the process, even after a database rebuild.

This may have happened because I accidentally started an old version 4 software that was still on the computer on the version 5 data. This happened when I clicked a link I thought was V5, but actually V4. I had never uninstalled V4

Oddly, I still have a few videos showing up from Jul 2018, but most are not there.
If you started version 4 and it had different story retention settings it would delete the video. Remove 4 and disable auto update.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
If you started version 4 and it had different story retention settings it would delete the video. Remove 4 and disable auto update.
I doubt there was any difference in the settings... but I cant bet my life on it. I dont remember doing anything except doing an upgrade when I went to V5. I hardly ever even open the desktop on the computer that hosts BI5. I only access it by remote desktop occasionally. This is the reason I had it set to update automatically. I have it tucked away in a inconvenient spot. Running on a very small Dell 9020 SFF with a mid-generation I7 processor (cant remember exactly which one). I have been using Bi for over 5 years. This has been the biggest fiasco of all for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt there was any difference in the settings... but I cant bet my life on it. I dont remember doing anything except doing an upgrade when I went to V5. I hardly ever even open the desktop on the computer that hosts BI5. I only access it by remote desktop occasionally. This is the reason I had it set to update automatically. I have it tucked away in a inconvenient spot. Running on a very small Dell 9020 SFF with a mid-generation I7 processor (cant remember exactly which one). I have been using Bi for over 5 years. This has been the biggest fiasco of all for me.
auto update should always be turned off you can always remote into the system to perform an update.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I unistalled version 4 and told it to keep license and settings and now I have nothing on Version 5. I have lost everything. no cameras, no settings or anything.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I unistalled version 4 and told it to keep license and settings and now I have nothing on Version 5. I have lost everything. no cameras, no settings or anything.
Yes, this is a known issue, that is why the migration guide tells you to backup your setting.
BI auto backups your registry to the blue iris 5 program folder

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, this is a known issue, that is why the migration guide tells you to backup your setting.
BI auto backups your registry to the blue iris 5 program folder
I had an old backup, and I got all of the cameras working pretty easily, but it says the service doesnt start (but when you check, the service shows to be running. It also has another error that says unable to delete the import key...adjust permissions. It wont record without the console working even though I have it set to run the service when the console is not open. I guess I am going to have to try to clean this mess up and just start from scratch.

DI_in_NJ

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received the following from BI tech support for the VCruntime_140 problem. BI would not start at all and I got this DLL runtime error. Here is the solution from BI that worked for me:

Hello,

First, our apologies for your inconvenience. This issue has arisen as the result of an update made to the Visual Studio C++ compiler used to build Blue Iris. It is not a bug or other problem with the software itself. In order to restore operation you may:

Run the VCREDIST_X64.exe file that you will find in your Blue Iris 5 program files folder for 64-bit Windows, or VCREDIST_X32.exe for 32-bit Windows. If this file is not found, you may run it from blueirissoftware.com/VCREDIST_X64.exe (or VCREDIST_X32.exe for 32 bit).

If this does not fix the issue, a full re-install may be required. In August we transitioned from the InstallShield installer to Advanced Installer--so your reinstallation should first start with an uninstall from the Control Panel, then install the full version from the BlueIrisSoftware website. Please be sure you backup your settings by running REGEDIT, find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris, right-click to export this to a file. It may later by imported just by double-clicking from Windows only (not through Blue Iris).

Once again, apologies for this unforeseen occurrence.

Dean-405

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received the following from BI tech support for the VCruntime_140 problem. BI would not start at all and I got this DLL runtime error. Here is the solution from BI that worked for me:

Hello,

First, our apologies for your inconvenience. This issue has arisen as the result of an update made to the Visual Studio C++ compiler used to build Blue Iris. It is not a bug or other problem with the software itself. In order to restore operation you may:

Run the VCREDIST_X64.exe file that you will find in your Blue Iris 5 program files folder for 64-bit Windows, or VCREDIST_X32.exe for 32-bit Windows. If this file is not found, you may run it from blueirissoftware.com/VCREDIST_X64.exe (or VCREDIST_X32.exe for 32 bit).

If this does not fix the issue, a full re-install may be required. In August we transitioned from the InstallShield installer to Advanced Installer--so your reinstallation should first start with an uninstall from the Control Panel, then install the full version from the BlueIrisSoftware website. Please be sure you backup your settings by running REGEDIT, find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris, right-click to export this to a file. It may later by imported just by double-clicking from Windows only (not through Blue Iris).

Once again, apologies for this unforeseen occurrence.
How long did it take for you to get an answer from BI support. I have two licenses and two priority support licenses and I have been waiting for 4 days for an answer for them. The only email that came from them was a $59.00 auto pay bill to renew my priority support on one of my licenses.

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also got the email. It took a couple days. It said the same thing.....BUT it did NOT work for me. I did the uninstall from Control Panel, copied the reg info to put back it...But never got that far. Just a fatal VC++ install.
BUT, I do have V4 still installed. A few posts above suggest it maybe the issue?
(Hmmm... I rather have this running on V4 now, while my new system with V5 is still not seeing all cams. )

mr_guns

n3wb
Reaction score
Just now got into the same boat.

suggestion to re-run VCREDIST got me started in the right direction; though it took a bit more for me to get going again.

C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\
  1. stop Blue Iris Service (if running as a service)
  2. run vcredist
  3. reboot as prompted
  4. stop Blue Iris Service (if running as a service)
  5. run update
  6. reboot
BI starts... will have to wait and see if this is "it" or if something else pops up.
Thanks seems to be working now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Phil Indeblanc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What was missing from the steps was to reboot system after uninstall...I knew this could be the reason, but not 100% sure.