Blue Iris Motion Detection Not Working Well

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris v5.07.3 x64 with a Reolink RLC-410-5MP camera. I have 7 total cameras (all using the same Reolink), but am having trouble with one particular outdoor camera. My NVR is a i7-6700 with 16GB of RAM (it never goes about 40% CPU usage).

I am having a hard time getting my motion detection to work properly on this outdoor camera. Images are crystal clear (and all cameras are setup the same exact way and use record on "Trigger").

My issue is that the motion either doesn't catch the beginning - or stops while items are clearly in motion.

I've uploaded a video that shows what I'm talking about. I get in my car to move it back into the garage (first pulling it forward a bit). The camera just refuses to capture anything other than me getting in and starting the car.

Here is a YouTube link if the video doesn't work:
Here are my settings for trigger:
2020-03-20_17-23-25.jpg

2020-03-20_17-42-45.jpg

2020-03-20_17-43-05.jpg

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First update to the latest version of BI. Yours is old. Change the algorithm to simple.
Reolink cameras do not have an iframe interval setting. The camera dynamically adjusts it, therefore you can miss lots of pretrigger motion. Set your pretrigger time to at least 5 seconds and break time to 30 seconds.

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Done - thank you, Fenderman!!

I'll test it out tomorrow and report back the results!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Done - thank you, Fenderman!!

I'll test it out tomorrow and report back the results!
Note, If you update blue iris to the latest release 5.2.2.0 (that was pushed around the same time I replied to your post) you may have issues with hardware acceleration or BI turning it off because it cant detect it. Its best to revert back to 5.2.1.4 Blue Iris Updates (64 bit) - History

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Because Reolink does not provide true frame rate, bit rate or iframe rate control. All of those are needed for Blue Iris, or any quality VMS, to be able to accurately track motion. On top of that Reolink uses subpar sensors in high resolutions, 5Mp and 8MP on a 1/3" sensors, will not produce good night time video with motion. See this thread for complete details -

Compiled by mat200 -

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you watch the video above in the original post? The dude got into his car and backed it into the garage and the camera completely missed it!

In addition to the great thread above that has pieced it all together collectively from members here with those cameras not working, this is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy any system that you cannot change the shutter speed or control any other parameter. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you