Blue Iris - Motion Detection only starts when car is halfway past screen?

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have an i3 with 8 gigs of ram. Has the Intel hardware/codec acceleration. Direct to Disc is enabled. Using Warrior 2.0 cam from Security Warehouse. Only 1 cam is in use. Under the "trigger" menu I've set the minimum pixel size to 300 and the contrast to 25. The object detection is set to 100 pixels. My front yard has a pretty busy ave with a lot of cars. The motion detection is triggered or "red" frame probably 80% of the time. I've noticed the trigger red frame....AKA the recording sometimes does not start till the car is halfway though the screen! Is there anything I can do to speed up the "triggering" ?

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
What is your pre-trigger video buffer set to in the "record" tab?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post your motion settings... Also ensure that in your cameras interface the I frame interval matches your frame rate

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response GW. The pre trigger buffer was set to 0.0 and I changed it to .03 so it does seem to have helped the recording. CPU usage has gone up some but not so much. Fenderman, The I-frame was set to 60 on the cam hardware itself. I lowered it to 30 to match the 30fps on the cam hardware. I looked all over BI for an i-frame setting to match it to 30. I'm thinking there isn't one. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response GW. The pre trigger buffer was set to 0.0 and I changed it to .03 so it does seem to have helped the recording. CPU usage has gone up some but not so much. Fenderman, The I-frame was set to 60 on the cam hardware itself. I lowered it to 30 to match the 30fps on the cam hardware. I looked all over BI for an i-frame setting to match it to 30. I'm thinking there isn't one. Thanks for the help!
The iframe interval is set in the camera.... If your camera is running 30 frames per second the iframe interval should be at 30.... Set your pre frame to 3 seconds not a fraction of a second...

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, if I set the pre frame buffer to 3 secs, I think it will be constantly recording. The cars are going on avg 45 mph though my I-frame so I THINK? The .03 will catch the cars in time etc. I don't need it to be perfect. I'm just worried if I set it to 3 secs, will overpower my CPU. Does that make sense?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if I set the pre frame buffer to 3 secs, I think it will be constantly recording. The cars are going on avg 45 mph though my I-frame so I THINK? The .03 will catch the cars in time etc. I don't need it to be perfect. I'm just worried if I set it to 3 secs, will overpower my CPU. Does that make sense?
You are misunderstanding pre trigger recording... It will only save the pre trigger if motion is detected....

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, excellent. I get it now. Thanks. So I'll set it to a full 1sec and everything should be fine. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, excellent. I get it now. Thanks. So I'll set it to a full 1sec and everything should be fine. Thanks again.
set it to 3 seconds-nothing will happen, youll survive and have more video...and make sure to set the camera iframe interval..with the wrong iframe interval settings the video can start well after a second...

clyoul3ss

n3wb
Reaction score
In the camera itself I set to 30 fps and 30 I-frame. I didn't see any I-frame in BI though. Is that correct?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the camera itself I set to 30 fps and 30 I-frame. I didn't see any I-frame in BI though. Is that correct?
you dont adjust iframes or fps in blue iris, all this is only done in the camera...also note that 30fps is a complete waste of resources...15 is more than sufficient.