Blue Iris no longer works on XP 32 bit after updating to 4.0.9.0 - please help

Bluy

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought Blue Iris back in January and always leave it running 24/7 on my XP SP3 32-bit system so that I can monitor a family member who is sick and sometimes falls while I'm away at work. I absolutely rely on it daily and check at least once an hour. I've accepted every Blue Iris update before without problems.

This time when I accepted the update, Blue Iris failed to restart. Most of the time it just shows the splash screen and disappears, but sometimes it pops up that useless box about wanting to alert Microsoft of some crash error.

Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it or go back to the previous version which I can't find on Blue Iris' web page?

I have not done any updates or installed anything on this computer since it was working before. I'd like to know if Blue Iris' 4.0.9.0 broke XP 32 bit or if something bizarre happened to my PC which worked right before the update. I could go back several days with a system restore and lose some other software I recently installed, but I'd prefer to verify first if I'm the only XP user who can no longer run Blue Iris 4.0.9.0. Thanks.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try to manually run the full install package. I have seen this before and a full install has fixed it.

Bluy

n3wb
Reaction score
Try to manually run the full install package. I have seen this before and a full install has fixed it.
I just tried their 58 MB v4.0.9.1 full package, and it didn't fix it. I did a repair and it still didn't fix it.

Would doing an uninstall and reinstall make a difference, and if so how do I save all my camera data/settings so I don't have to redo everything? I'm not sure what to do. Before I contact Blue Iris, I'd like to make sure I'm not the only one with the problem.

If anyone reading this is still using Windows XP SP3 32-bit and just updated to 4.0.9.0 (or 4.0.9.1), could you please post if your Blue Iris still works on that system after updating? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried their 58 MB v4.0.9.1 full package, and it didn't fix it. I did a repair and it still didn't fix it.

Would doing an uninstall and reinstall make a difference, and if so how do I save all my camera data/settings so I don't have to redo everything? I'm not sure what to do. Before I contact Blue Iris, I'd like to make sure I'm not the only one with the problem.

If anyone reading this is still using Windows XP SP3 32-bit and just updated to 4.0.9.0 (or 4.0.9.1), could you please post if your Blue Iris still works on that system after updating? Thanks.
If you have one of the older update files you can run it to revert to an older version.

Bluy

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have one of the older update files you can run it to revert to an older version.
Except I don't have one. I always say yes to the update popup within Blue Iris and I never see or get the older version files. Are they stored somewhere else on the hard drive where I could still find them? Also and unfortunately like most software sites, I don't see any older versions available for download off their web site (I guess based on the assumption that every update is perfect and nobody would ever need to revert).

I'm still stuck without Blue Iris and very unhappy. Does anyone have a link to an older version on Blue Iris' web site? Also, is there nobody running XP 32-bit who took the latest update who can tell me if their Blue Iris still works?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your download folder...
Side note xp is a huge security risk

Sent via Taptalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, isn't that a 64 bit version?
good point thanks...yes, that wont work...I dont have any 32bit updates as I dont run any 32bit os...
Hopefully op has them (they are not overwritten unless manually deleted)...

Bluy

n3wb
Reaction score
4.0.9.2 is avaialble now
I tried 4.0.9.2 and it still crashes on my XP system.
good point thanks...yes, that wont work...I dont have any 32bit updates as I dont run any 32bit os...
Hopefully op has them (they are not overwritten unless manually deleted)...
Thanks for trying to send that file even though it's x64 so I didn't try it. How would I have the past updates? I let Blue Iris do its own automatic updates, and I never see whatever files it downloads. I assumed it deleted them automatically, but if they aren't deleted, then where do these update files hide on my hard drive?

If I uninstall and reinstall, will I lose all my camera settings? If yes, is there a way to back them up first (without being able to run Blue Iris)?

I have the original 4.0 version I got when I first bought it in January. At least that would be better than nothing. I really want to try an older version just to see if it's Blue Iris' update that broke XP for me or if something got corrupted on my XP system (even though I didn't install or do anything to my PC so I wouldn't know what to fix).

I'm having a feeling that I'm going to be forced to contact Blue Iris for help. It worked fine since January until the 4.0.9.0 update. Just because most people don't like XP doesn't mean that I want to move on yet. XP works fine for me on 99% of what I want to do, but sadly Blue Iris no longer works. Upgrading the OS is all a question of time and money (I can't afford to rebuy my OS on every PC I have for $100 a pop every couple years). It's forced obsolence by developers who choose to stop supporting XP which I'm sure makes MS happy.

It looks like either very few people are reading this or I'm the last person who uses Blue Iris on XP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried 4.0.9.2 and it still crashes on my XP system.

Thanks for trying to send that file even though it's x64 so I didn't try it. How would I have the past updates? I let Blue Iris do its own automatic updates, and I never see whatever files it downloads. I assumed it deleted them automatically, but if they aren't deleted, then where do these update files hide on my hard drive?

If I uninstall and reinstall, will I lose all my camera settings? If yes, is there a way to back them up first (without being able to run Blue Iris)?

I have the original 4.0 version I got when I first bought it in January. At least that would be better than nothing. I really want to try an older version just to see if it's Blue Iris' update that broke XP for me or if something got corrupted on my XP system (even though I didn't install or do anything to my PC so I wouldn't know what to fix).

I'm having a feeling that I'm going to be forced to contact Blue Iris for help. It worked fine since January until the 4.0.9.0 update. Just because most people don't like XP doesn't mean that I want to move on yet. XP works fine for me on 99% of what I want to do, but sadly Blue Iris no longer works. Upgrading the OS is all a question of time and money (I can't afford to rebuy my OS on every PC I have for $100 a pop every couple years). It's forced obsolence by developers who choose to stop supporting XP which I'm sure makes MS happy.

It looks like either very few people are reading this or I'm the last person who uses Blue Iris on XP.
You need to search for a file called update32.exe and find one dated prior do the the date .9 was released..its probably in your download folder....
This is why you should not set blue iris to auto update, its bad practice. If you cant find the file the email support. Reporting the issue is a good idea anyway so he can address it for others. http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/

As far as xp, its not about liking it. Its a security risk for that pc as well as the entire network since there are no more patches...xp was released by microsoft in 2001, and was patched through 2014..you cant ask for much more than that...13 years of updates....you cannont expect MS to keep updating it for life....consider that a new quality pc with a modern intel haswell processors is under 300 dollars (dell business outlet sales)..modern pc's for basic home tasks are routinely on sale for under 200...
Remember to factor in the cost to run the older machine. Often the older processors are power hogs..