Blue Iris not deleting old clips from NAS

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris 4.8.6.3 (current version more than meets my needs, don't need to upgrade to version 5 at this point) and have clips set to move to my NAS (SMB/CIFS) after 7 days and then set to delete from the NAS with the "Limit size" at 3125 GB. I checked my clips folder on the NAS and it is 13 TB (13,000 GB)!! This means clips are moving to my NAS successfully, just not deleting from the NAS after that folder has reached 3125 GB in size. I made sure "do NOT monitor free space" and "limit clip age" are not set, tried repairing the database, running maintenance and restarting the machine, but old clips are not deleted. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running Blue Iris 4.8.6.3 (current version more than meets my needs, don't need to upgrade to version 5 at this point) and have clips set to move to my NAS (SMB/CIFS) after 7 days and then set to delete from the NAS with the "Limit size" at 3125 GB. I checked my clips folder on the NAS and it is 13 TB (13,000 GB)!! This means clips are moving to my NAS successfully, just not deleting from the NAS after that folder has reached 3125 GB in size. I made sure "do NOT monitor free space" and "limit clip age" are not set, tried repairing the database, running maintenance and restarting the machine, but old clips are not deleted. Any ideas?
Confirm that BI is actually able to write to the nas.
The upgrade to v5 is well worth 30/35 dollars.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Confirm that BI is actually able to write to the nas.
Yes, it is able to write to the NAS - it has been writing successfully to the NAS for the last 25 months, just hasn't deleted anything (hence ballooning to 13 TB).

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the "Blue Iris Status" window the entry for Stored (clips on the NAS) says "Delete: nothing to do [0K/3.05T, 2.00T free]". Odd it says 0K when there's 13T there and there's definitely more than 2.00T free (6.18T free). So it looks like Blue Iris is not properly reading the disk space used and disk space free on the NAS (FreeNAS, by the way). Maybe there's a setting I need to set in FreeNAS to correct this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the "Blue Iris Status" window the entry for Stored (clips on the NAS) says "Delete: nothing to do [0K/3.05T, 2.00T free]". Odd it says 0K when there's 13T there and there's definitely more than 2.00T free (6.18T free). So it looks like Blue Iris is not properly reading the disk space used and disk space free on the NAS (FreeNAS, by the way). Maybe there's a setting I need to set in FreeNAS to correct this?
try shutting down, deleting the database folder and restarting blue iris...its does a better job than repair.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
try shutting down, deleting the database folder and restarting blue iris...its does a better job than repair.
Done, but it doesn't remove old stuff from the NAS. I watched the rebuild via the Blue Iris Status and I noticed it only searches through the local storage (C: ) for Alerts and Stored (clips), but not the stuff moved to the NAS (E: ). Also, I see it moved some items to the NAS, but again didn't remove old clips from the NAS (said "Delete: nothing to do" again).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Synology NAS. Simple fix: you have to tell your NAS to empty recycle bin when full. Has done wonders :)
Also, could be the user account you setup for Blue Iris on your NAS does not have delete permission.

digity

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Synology NAS. Simple fix: you have to tell your NAS to empty recycle bin when full. Has done wonders :)
Also, could be the user account you setup for Blue Iris on your NAS does not have delete permission.
I'm running FreeNAS, but there is no recycle bin set up on that share. And Blue Iris is saying there's nothing to do, not saying delete failed, permission error. Blue Iris appears to be simply ignoring clips stored there