Blue Iris Not Updating

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi ,

I recently moved my Blue Iris installation to a new PC and I have noticed that I am not getting any software updates at all since I installed the software on the new computer. Before I would get regular updates and I have had nothing in the last 2 weeks. I noticed in the About tab it now shows the basic support level as expired and I cannot check manually. On my previous installation I was still getting software updates.

Did I miss something when I installed Blue Iris on my new PC? I deactivated my license made a backup of my settings then installed on my new PC. All the settings came across perfectly

Regards

Richard

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I recently moved my Blue Iris installation to a new PC and I have noticed that I am not getting any software updates at all since I installed the software on the new computer. Before I would get regular updates and I have had nothing in the last 2 weeks. I noticed in the About tab it now shows the basic support level as expired and I cannot check manually. On my previous installation I was still getting software updates.

Did I miss something when I installed Blue Iris on my new PC? I deactivated my license made a backup of my settings then installed on my new PC. All the settings came across perfectly

Regards

Richard
With a recent update he is now requiring you to have a support subscription to update via the software. This was supposed to be implemented long ago, but he let it go.
You can still manually update (at least for now) via the blue iris website which is the best way to do it anyway.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With a recent update he is now requiring you to have a support subscription to update via the software. This was supposed to be implemented long ago, but he let it go.
You can still manually update (at least for now) via the blue iris website which is the best way to do it anyway.
Oh Thanks for this,

I can understand paying for a subscription if it is for a completely new release but it seems a little unfair for minor updates to the same version I purchased which was over $80 CDN and I see the support is $29.95 US $40 CDN !

So do I just download the latest installer from the website and run it to update my current version?

Regards

Richard

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Thanks for this,

I can understand paying for a subscription if it is for a completely new release but it seems a little unfair for minor updates to the same version I purchased which was over $80 CDN and I see the support is $29.95 US $40 CDN !

So do I just download the latest installer from the website and run it to update my current version?

Regards

Richard
Unfair? how so? Please tell me about any other software product that provides FREE updates with NEW features for FOUR years? Would it make you feel better if he simply changed the version number every year?
80 dollars CDN is a JOKE in the field of VMS software. Its pennies. If that is too rich for you, try milestone, free for 8 cameras.

Richdem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no idea how much other software costs so it's hard to compare. Anyway I had no intention of seeming arrogant.

I looked at the Blue Iris site and under the downloads there was a line of text:

If your support and maintenance have expired, please use Upgrade/Renew from Options before manually installing any updates.

Does this mean that it is not possible to install the update manually as you suggested?

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, I wondered why I couldn't get any minor updates anymore.

I can understand the upgrade to v5, but disappointed you have to pay to get minor security updates though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I wondered why I couldn't get any minor updates anymore.

I can understand the upgrade to v5, but disappointed you have to pay to get minor security updates though.
So you expect free updates for life? You paid $60 for this or less.

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I expect to pay for an upgrade from v4 to v5, but minor updates/security updates for v4, then yes I expect to get updates until it become EOL

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good info.

It always says "your software is up-to-date" is that not true? How would you be able to find out what v4 is out now?

Dl file name is:
BlueIris_48603

So for v5. Is it free updates right now with the extended support?
What v5 Bi version is out right now? 5.0.0.57?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I expect to pay for an upgrade from v4 to v5, but minor updates/security updates for v4, then yes I expect to get updates until it become EOL
With the release of BI5, BI4 IS END OF LIFE. I dont understand your logic. It amazes me how cheap people are expecting free services for life.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good info.

It always says "your software is up-to-date" is that not true? How would you be able to find out what v4 is out now?

Dl file name is:
BlueIris_48603

So for v5. Is it free updates right now with the extended support?
What v5 Bi version is out right now? 5.0.0.57?
There will be no further updates to bi4. This is all listed on the bi site.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There will be no further updates to bi4. This is all listed on the bi site.
Makes sense. I did miss that so thanks. For BI5 it updates if you have the updated service only which also makes sense:
Current Version Updates
Major version upgrade protection

----
I cannot see how people would think this is unreasonable. He has to update through AWS and pay for the bandwidth. Why would you get that for free????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense. I did miss that so thanks. For BI5 it updates if you have the updated service only which also makes sense:
Current Version Updates
Major version upgrade protection

----
I cannot see how people would think this is unreasonable. He has to update through AWS and pay for the bandwidth. Why would you get that for free????
Its not even the bandwidth, its the work that goes into the software. 30 dollars to upgrade is basically free compared to what the others charge.

bpratt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All I was expecting was the last version of the BI v4.... not asking let alone expecting 'free upgrade' to v5

I'm happy to pay for upgrade to v5 once it all settles down.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All I was expecting was the last version of the BI v4.... not asking let alone expecting 'free upgrade' to v5

I'm happy to pay for upgrade to v5 once it all settles down.
The last version of bi4 is available on the bi website as well as this website. It amazes me that you cannot figure that out.