Blue Iris Notifications not working on new phone

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My wife just got a new Honor 6x and it doesn't receive new blue iris push notifications unless the blue iris app is open on the screen. The push notifications work fine on my phone (galaxy s6). I have tried reinstalling the app, making sure notifications are turned on, and making sure her user & phone is checked in blue iris, but still only work when the app is open.

Do push notifications only work if the app is running in the background and her phone is killing it or something? Or are push notifications independent of the app running?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My wife just got a new Honor 6x and it doesn't receive new blue iris push notifications unless the blue iris app is open on the screen. The push notifications work fine on my phone (galaxy s6). I have tried reinstalling the app, making sure notifications are turned on, and making sure her user & phone is checked in blue iris, but still only work when the app is open.

Do push notifications only work if the app is running in the background and her phone is killing it or something? Or are push notifications independent of the app running?
Something is wrong with the phone settings...make sure you turn off any power saving features related to the app..

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed with mine that it didnt always check new phones for notifications.

If you go to the desktop interface, select the big gear at the top left and then go to the 'Mobile devices' tab, you'll see all the devices that have connected in via the app, and the checkbox on the left is for push notifications. When I rebuilt my phone and reinstalled the app I had to go in and check off the new connection, this could very well be the same problem you're having.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I already tried that unfortunately, I tried removing the device as well and then reinstalling the app to see if it showed back up and "reauthorized" or something, but it still only works on the Honor 6x when the blue iris app is open.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I already tried that unfortunately, I tried removing the device as well and then reinstalling the app to see if it showed back up and "reauthorized" or something, but it still only works on the Honor 6x when the blue iris app is open.
that signifies its related to doze or some other power saving feature. Google should help you find the problem.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's what I wondered. Just to clarify, is the blue iris app required to be running in the background for push notifications to work? For example, if I restart the phone and never open blue iris, will I still get push notifications? Or if I force close the app, will push notifications stop till I re-open it? Just want to make sure I understand how it works. If so, I'll try setting it to high-priority or something like that and see if it helps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I wondered. Just to clarify, is the blue iris app required to be running in the background for push notifications to work? For example, if I restart the phone and never open blue iris, will I still get push notifications? Or if I force close the app, will push notifications stop till I re-open it? Just want to make sure I understand how it works. If so, I'll try setting it to high-priority or something like that and see if it helps.
Yes, it has to run in the background...your phone is shutting it down.