Blue Iris nvr or dvr

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I was just looking to know does blue Iris have an nvr or DVR that they make themselves I have multiple different types of cameras ( Reolink sv3c HikVision ) and I'm currently using trying to make move away from the one for the bands I am using ( reolink ) which means I'll have three different makes of cameras in my setup is there anyway to get a nvr that will accommodate all three brands ?

thanks you for many help

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I was just looking to know does blue Iris have an nvr or DVR that they make themselves I have multiple different types of cameras ( Reolink sv3c HikVision ) and I'm currently using trying to make move away from the one for the bands I am using ( reolink ) which means I'll have three different makes of cameras in my setup is there anyway to get a nvr that will accommodate all three brands ?

thanks you for many help
Hi Joey,

You would need to buy a i5/i7 windows PC and install Blue Iris on it, and you will be able to get good support for multiple brands and types of cameras so long as the cameras are stable products which met the necessary specs. ( I hear reolink cameras have issues associated with their implementation of iframes - feel free to search the forum for those issues )

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that is the unfortunate bit about running blue Iris it requires a PC to run 24/7 is quite sore and my electric bill running and 6 cameras , switchs, poe injectors and I really only have one computer capable of doing it but it use 300 400 watts

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that is the unfortunate bit about running blue Iris it requires a PC to run 24/7 is quite sore and my electric bill running and 6 cameras , switchs, poe injectors and I really only have one computer capable of doing it but it use 300 400 watts
Wrong... Most systems draw 30-40w under average BI loads...you can buy a system for 100bux....

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry but my pc does not even idle at 40w20180430_221535[1].jpg ( watts of pc only )that is at night with only 5 camera on and

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but my pc does not even idle at 40wView attachment 29073 ( watts of pc only )that is at night with only 5 camera on and
You must be using a very old dual-core processor setup or some crazy overpowered video card to get those numbers... My point was you're using the wrong equipment... You can buy a PC for $100 that will consume less than 40 Watts with your load.... Not sure why you would compare an NVR to some silly PC or running that is obviously not Suited to run any VMS or be on 24 hours a day...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also know that you don't want to be running blueiris on a machine you use for other tasks... Blueiris should be run on a dedicated PC...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good lord @Joey117, what kind of PC are you running?!

Here's what my two UPSs are showing as the current load (pardon the mess):

IMG_0293.jpg

The left UPS (61W) is running a 16-port PoE switch (with 9 cameras, 2 WiFi access points, and a gizmo), a 24-port non-PoE switch, a router, a VPN/firewall, the Cox fiber ONT, and a 1-bay Synology drive. At night, the IR lights will add about 10W to this.

IMG_0295.jpg

The right UPS (48W) is running my Blue Iris system, which is recording ~330MP/sec.

IMG_0294.jpg

So right now I'm at 109W total for a bunch of networking stuff + my BI box, which is an old 2012 Intel i7.

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry guys I am in the UK I will happily post my spec tomorrow and I'll be really interesting to learning how to build a low power system for cameras

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry guys I am in the UK I will happily post my spec tomorrow and I'll be really interesting to learning how to build a low power system for cameras
you dont have to build anything...most here are using off the shelf systems. Cheaper than you could ever build.

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you guys run dedicated graphics cards at all even if you're working with 4mp cameras

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you at the minute I'm just using my work computer / productivity / gaming computer it's probably the reason for such a power high output

(5pm ) It baffles my mind how you can get a computer to run a 40 watt I just plugged in my laptop and ran up blue Iris on it, it is pulling 135w from the wall I have no idea how you guys are doing this I need to do a lot more reading

Last edited:

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help and thank you for laying down that ass whooping of wisdom i am still trying to wrap my head around it all but i will get there

I also have against my better judgement a friend that has a roelink
nvr recorder I have 5 of my 7 cameras are we roelink so I'm going to check it for how much wattage and how much in uses when all cameras are attached to find out what it just be better paying £200 for a actual nvr

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you at the minute I'm just using my work computer / productivity / gaming computer it's probably the reason for such a power high output

(5pm ) It baffles my mind how you can get a computer to run a 40 watt I just plugged in my laptop and ran up blue Iris on it, it is pulling 135w from the wall I have no idea how you guys are doing this I need to do a lot more reading
There is no way your laptop is pulling 135w unless it some sort of specialized gaming machine - and even then, I doubt it, you must have a defective meter..
An efficient machine running a modern i5 will idle at 16w or so and will consume 30-40w under 30-50 percent load and will max at 70-80 at 100 percent load.

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is a gaming Asus ( G53SW series ) laptop, and the meter ok i have two saying the same thing

Last edited: