Blue Iris on 2 PC?

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am just curious...
Is it allowed to have BI installed on 2 computers but only one is turned on at a time?

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I believe you can have only one PC registered with a single license at a time. If you de authorize an active system then you can free that license register on another PC. I have seen several users here who have bought a second license for use one another system.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am just curious...
Is it allowed to have BI installed on 2 computers but only one is turned on at a time?
It seems to go by the activation of the key. If BI is not in use the key is still activated. If you deactivate it then you can use it on another computer. I am not sure but if you activate/deactivate every time you want to switch computers you should be able to do it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a limit to the number of times you can activate the license, and the license is for one PC.

I believe there is still a discount on additional licenses, but you must contact Blue Iris support and ask for a coupon code.
I figured activate/deactivating would have a limit. How many times? I have done it a few times when working with new computers to test it before buying a new license.

And yes - it is $35 for another license it seems (half-off). This is nothing. I don't get the big hangup on the low cost of this great software.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two times, I think. Though I have never tested this limit myself. It could be more complex than that.
Ok I wonder if there is a time limit between it because I know i deactivated and used them twice. Maybe 1 more time it will say you cannot deactivate.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Two times, I think. Though I have never tested this limit myself. It could be more complex than that.
Hmm.. I have done it at least 3 times already and was about to change hardware again.
I was piloting on a VM, and it was running nicely, should have left it on a VM.

Chim Vang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I just bought a well equipped, small size mini-computer and re-installed BI. Now I can easily move it around, to different locations just like a laptop.