Blue Iris on an eBay with standard MB

tknx

n3wb
Reaction score
So starting to plan for home security and was thinking about an i5 based system. We will have 6-8 cameras, probably 2MP Hikvisions or similar (for better nightvision).

I'd like to rackmount it... so the problem with the standard Optiplex/Dell rec is that they use proprietary motherboards that can't be put in some sort of 4U chassis.

Do HP and Lenovo do the same? Is there a nice affordable machine with Quicksync, low power draw, and room to expand cameras as we come up with more uses?

STGMavrick

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ran into this when trying to figure out what system I wanted. Yes, all the SFF PCs on ebay, amazon, newegg, etc. are all proprietary boards. I couldn't find a single used/refurb full sized system with a price that made sense.

I ended up building an i5-8600k mATX system Cost me about 730 including raid 0 4T storage drives and Win10Pro. I have this rack (It's swung out in the pic.) which has a bottom. I plan on swapping out my atx case for a rackmount with hot bays at a later date.

Attachments

tknx

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I'll just buy a SFF and stick the Mobo in a rack case with zip ties and not sweat it too much. Stupid but cheap.