Blue Iris on Dell PowerEdge T30

k2ace

n3wb
Reaction score
Due to an hardware failure I needed a quick box to get a BI server back up. The only thing I had laying around was a few dell T30's. I have seen a couple threads asking about running Blue Iris on a T30 so I figured I would post what my results were so far. The main specs of the T30 I used was:
  • Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30 GHz (4C/4T)
  • 8 GB UDIMM, DDR4-2400, Single Rank
  • Intel HD P530 Graphics
I added 4 WD Gold HDDs, had to remove the Toshiba HDD it shipped with and stole the SATA port from the optical drive since it only has 4 SATA ports onboard. I'm running Server 2016 Standard, T30 doesn't ship with any OS.

BI is up an running with 8 CAMs, all are set to continuous record with trigger alerts. All are configured to using direct to disk and hardware decode + VPP is enabled. The CAMs running are:
  • Dahua (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
    • 3 CAMs @ H.264, 1080P, 30 fps, CBR, Max Bit Rate 6144
  • Hikvision (DS-2CD2432F-IW)
    • 3 CAMs @ H.264, 720P,10 fps, CBR, Max Bit Rate 2048
    • 2 CAMs @ H.264, 1080P,15 fps, CBR, Max Bit Rate 4096
So far it seems to be handling things ok. With BI running as a service the CPU staying around 20%. With the BI admin app open total CPU usage jumps up to the 30-40% range. It's only been running for a couple days, but so fare it looking like it may be the permeant replacement for the failed server.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be seeing lower numbers than that...HA only without the vpp...also when testing cpu consumption ensure that you are viewing on the local pc and not remotely using a remote viewing app like teamviewer..

k2ace

n3wb
Reaction score
The numbers were local. With or without vpp didn't seem to make a difference. Seems to stay right around 20% +/-2. All CAMs have object detection enable and couple with zone crossing configure. I don't recall what all was change from default since I started with importing the last reg export from the older server. I didn't figure I could get much lower, the older box was running a i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz and pretty much ran around 30-35% all the time.

bi2.png

Reaction score
everything still going well with the T30? Are you happy with the purchase? For $300 for a new machine, it seems like a pretty good option.

k2ace

n3wb
Reaction score
everything still going well with the T30? Are you happy with the purchase? For $300 for a new machine, it seems like a pretty good option.
It's been running completely stable since I started using it. I only paid $220 for the T30's I have so I don’t have any motivation to replace it since it’s working fine. It’s unlikely I would ever buy one for this purpose unless there was some need to have a hardware support/maintenance option from the vendor since you can get a used computer with a better processor for less on eBay or through various outlet/refurbish channels.