Blue Iris on NVRs

DebMc111

n3wb
Reaction score
We currently use blue Iris on a PC. Could I buy an NVR and install Blue Iris software on it? If so is there a list of NVR's that Blue Iris works with?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As Mike explained you need a windows machine. Please tell us why you are looking for an NVR to install blue iris on...this way we can offer alternatives or suggestions so that your needs are met.

DebMc111

n3wb
Reaction score
I wanted to free up my computer from the load of the cameras. Also, I want to hide the NVR so that, hopefully, any potential burglar would be caught on video stealing the PC, on which he/she assumed cameras were recording.

DebMc111

n3wb
Reaction score
How many cameras are you currently running? What brand and models?
8—LogiTech

I will be setting up another system at another location soon and plan to use 16 IP POE cameras. I'm trying to learn more about NVRs on our current system first.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to use 16 cameras (assuming 1-3mp each) you will need a very powerful i7 (fourth generation haswell) pc and run in direct to disk mode to accommodate you may be better off with an NVR...with NVR its always best to match cameras and the NVR to be the same brand...Hikvision and Dahua are two great choices..NVR's are less versatile than Blue iris so there is a trade off. For your current setup something like this slim pc would suffice
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Quad-Core-i5-4570s-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Ultra-Slim-Desktop-SSD-/301393352050?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item462c719572
You will need to add an external drive or swap out the current small ssd (there is no room to expand in the small case)..

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DebMc111

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are going to use 16 cameras (assuming 1-3mp each) you will need a very powerful i7 (fourth generation haswell) pc and run in direct to disk mode to accommodate you may be better off with an NVR...with NVR its always best to match cameras and the NVR to be the same brand...Hikvision and Dahua are two great choices..NVR's are less versatile than Blue iris so there is a trade off. For your current setup something like this slim pc would suffice
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Quad-Core-i5-4570s-HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Ultra-Slim-Desktop-SSD-/301393352050?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item462c719572
You will need to add an external drive or swap out the current small ssd (there is no room to expand in the small case)..
I wanted to install Blue Iris ON AN NVR. Can I do that?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Instead of spending the money for the NVR why not dump the videos to a network shared folder that could be connected to a hidden NAS with a script that retrieves or sends the videos? For a mere 200 dollars you could get a Synology NAS that is small enough to fit anywhere.

Another option to do on your PC is run a virtual session with something like VirtualBox and install Ubuntu or your choice of Linux flavor that you could script to send the videos through SFTP to the cloud or an offsite device.

As already pointed though Blue Iris is a WINDOWS solution but there was an opensource solution I saw but havent tested yet.

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although there are a range of flexibility benefits with an NVR being built into part of a PC assembly, standalone units are generally built on a embedded Linux core and as mentioned, there is a trade off. Using third party software is generally not an option.

The white paper titled 'Benefits of Embedded Network Video Recorders (NVRs) over PC-based NVRs' explains some fundamentals very well and compares the options excellently.

To summarize, the benefits an embedded NVR offers – reliability, stability, ease of use and more – allows for maximizing the value of already owned devices. Moreover, with all the components embedded into one box, it occupies small space and can be perfectly disguised in any location. This makes the embedded approach more suitable to be installed in any spot, even hard-to-reach locations and prohibiting unauthorized intruders access to sensitive video footage.

I recommend reading the full paper here: http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Press-Release-details.asp?id=1883