Blue Iris optimisation

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wanna asking if there are any other ways to optimise the Blue Iris?
I have: pc - Intel E8400 (2 cores), 4Gb ram, 3 Hik cameras (thinking to have another one)

Problem is CPU, I followed digger11 suggestions(thanks for that) and that I got: when BI run as the service it take ~65%-70%(before ~85-90%), when I open application it jumps to ~92-95-100%(no changes) to check the videos.
The cameras settings are in FullHD (1920x1080, 25fps), of course I can lower it to 720p but I'm loosing the point to have Full HD.

So, are there anything else to optimise? I do not want to spend money for an another pc.

What you think about this secondhand Dell? It has Intel Xeon 4 cores, but it has SAS hard drives (never deal with them) and they are expensive.

Thx a lot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Oleg...the most effective way to lower cpu consumption is to record direct to disc..looks like you may already be doing that...make sure you do this for each camera...
You can lower the frame rate to 15...make sure you are recording to BVR..
Another thing to do is to lower the live preview frame rate, this will not affect the recording...blue iris options >cameras
Dont buy the dell..its VERY old (socket 771) and a huge powerhog..you will pay more for power than you save...a haswell i3 fourth gen is faster...I see you are not in the US so it may be more difficult to find cheap good quality pc's...Look for a 3rd/4th generation i5...
Or you can simply use ivms if all your cams are hikvision..it wont have all the options BI does but it will use less cpu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, yes, already done "direct to disc" and "recording to BVR" for all cameras, did not help much. Will test with 15fps, question, do I have to lower in the cameras AND BI together? I guess both to match up the BI frame rate and camera frame rate, right?

Ok, no Dell :). Yes in NZ the secondhand pc are still expensive. What is ivms?

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, yes, already done "direct to disc" and "recording to BVR" for all cameras, did not help much. Will test with 15fps, question, do I have to lower in the cameras AND BI together? I guess both to match up the BI frame rate and camera frame rate, right?

Ok, no Dell :). Yes in NZ the secondhand pc are still expensive. What is ivms?

Cheers
You need to lower it in the camera itself, then in blue iris set fps to one step above 15, in your case set it to 20 and uncheck adjust automatically...
IVMS is hikvisions free recording software..it will only work with hikvision cameras.

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. Ok will try to lower it to 15. I will think about IVMS but my 4th camera is different brand.
Ah one more question how to start a bit early motion recording for a few seconds? I can't remember the default settings.

Just thought, is CPU problem(may be) that I use the masks on 2 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Ok will try to lower it to 15. I will think about IVMS but my 4th camera is different brand.
Ah one more question how to start a bit early motion recording for a few seconds? I can't remember the default settings.
camera properties>record>pretrigger frames...remember that its frames not seconds, so if your camera is set to 15fps and you want 2 seconds of prerecording set it to 30 (2x15)...
Also in your camera make sure you match the i-frame interval to fps...so in your case set both to 15.

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
camera properties>record>pretrigger frames...remember that its frames not seconds, so if your camera is set to 15fps and you want 2 seconds of prerecording set it to 30 (2x15)... Also in your camera make sure you match the i-frame interval to fps...so in your case set both to 15.
Great, thanks very much.

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another thought, is CPU problem(may be) that I use the masks on 2 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thought, is CPU problem(may be) that I use the masks on 2 cameras?
I doubt it..mask should not affect cpu...blue iris does require a more powerful pc than other vms...
The e8400 is not very powerful by todays standards..http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+E8400+@+3.00GHz
Did you try reducing the live preview rate?
Also make sure that the blueiris exe file is excluded from your antivirus scans.
Here is the list of things to try from the blue iris help file:

If ever you see the CPU usage reach 100% and stay there for any extended period of time, that means that your CPU does not have power to do all that you are asking of it in real time. And, since video capture is more or less a real time application, a maxed-out CPU means that Blue Iris performance will suffer as a result. Here are some things to look at in order to attempt to minimize CPU utilization:
What other software is running on the same PC? Can any of that be eliminated?
Can you lower the capture frame rate on one or more of your cameras? For an IP camera, this also must be done from within the camera's own browser interface--ideally the framerate that the IP camera is sending should match the value you specify in Blue Iris.
Can you lower the resolution on one or more of your cameras?
Can you remove one or more video overlay graphics or text? Transparent items use the most CPU.
Can you switch to the BVR recording format? This is more efficient than either MP4 or WMV.
If you are running multiple cameras, can one of them be eliminated?
Can you minimize the Blue Iris window? When it is minimized, no CPU time is used to draw to the screen.
If you are running as a service, do not leave the console instance running when unnecessary
Turn off Windows Aero (switch to Windows Vista or 7 "basic" display mode). It is pretty, but it uses more CPU cycles to draw to the screen in this mode.
Are you using the pre-trigger frames option on the Record tab? This will use more CPU.
If you switch from H.264 to XVID codec recording, this will save CPU time on slower processors. Install that from XVID.org. When installed, it will become an option on the Record/Format page in camera properties.
For an IP camera, you can eliminate re-encoding video altogether during recording by using the Direct-To-Disc option on the Recording format page.

Oleg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I doubt it..mask should not affect cpu...blue iris does require a more powerful pc than other vms...
Thanks a lot, fenderman, will go through your list, again thx a lot. :)