Blue iris pc - ssd plus hdd?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How important/where would I see the difference between having an ssd to store blue iris clips vs having a standard hdd

I have been looking into getting my pc to run blue iris and came across a post where someone mentioned something about clips being stored on your fastest drive and then the full recordings to a 7200rpm drive. I’m just curious what exactly that is and how much/when I’d notice the difference. Havent used blue iris yet so not even sure what the clips are he was referring to.

Also I would need a pc that is able to handle 2 hard drives. Does this rule out any dell optiplex?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing that is supposed to go on your fastest drive is the clip database. It is a handful of files that require only around 1-10 GB typically. The performance difference is not huge though, so if you don't have an SSD and don't want to buy one for $20, then you don't need it. If you have it, then you might as well install Windows and Blue Iris on the SSD. There is no reason to store clips on an SSD.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The thing that is supposed to go on your fastest drive is the clip database. It is a handful of files that require only around 1-10 GB typically. The performance difference is not huge though, so if you don't have an SSD and don't want to buy one for $20, then you don't need it. If you have it, then you might as well install Windows and Blue Iris on the SSD. There is no reason to store clips on an SSD.
What are the clips even used for? How are they different than the normal recording

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Clips are the video files. They ARE the recordings. The clip database is just a small collection of information about your clips.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah okay. So how does it work with the pc I buy then. All the recommended ones I’m seeing have very small ssd hard drives. So I’m going to have to remove that and install a 6tb or whatever size I need? Then install windows on it and everything?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use a 120 GB SSD for the windows OS and the blue iris application and the BI database. The clips video recording goes on to a 4 tb or larger WD purple drive. The drive that comes with the computer is normal 500gb or 1tb, it is just junk worth less than $20.

The more moving disks the more power used the more heat generated.

You can put everything on one drive, it is just not recommended.

Last edited:

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That’s a great thread I have referenced it a lot. It does recommend the optiplex and also using the 2 hard drive setup. But it doesn’t talk about it the specific optiplex 7040 sff can fit both. I do believe from reading elsewhere I just need to remove the dvd drive and then it can but just wanted onconfirm before I spent the money.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah okay. So how does it work with the pc I buy then. All the recommended ones I’m seeing have very small ssd hard drives. So I’m going to have to remove that and install a 6tb or whatever size I need? Then install windows on it and everything?
You should certainly use the ssd for windows, blue iris and the database folder, this will make the pc significantly snappier. I would not run it without one. then add the hdd for storage. Ensure the pc has the extra sata port and space.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s a great thread I have referenced it a lot. It does recommend the optiplex and also using the 2 hard drive setup. But it doesn’t talk about it the specific optiplex 7040 sff can fit both. I do believe from reading elsewhere I just need to remove the dvd drive and then it can but just wanted onconfirm before I spent the money.
Read the specification sheets from Dell.