Blue Iris Playback 7 second freeze

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
<SOLVED>
Steps I took that fixed my problem, most likely the 3rd bullet that actually fixed it though.
  • Made sure I actually went to the Intel HD 4600 website to get the latest graphics driver and installed instead of the intel driver update utility as that one kept saying I had the latest driver. That might've affected the Hardware Decoding option because of an old driver
  • Deleted camera and added it back in
  • Change my computer power options in control panel > advanced power settings > Changed "Turn off hard disk after 20 minutes" to "Never" - This is probably the setting that actually did the true fixing

I didn't want to hijack the other threads so started my own. I have read all other of these threads on this msg board and others.. have tried clicking things on and off, hardware acceleration, adjusting the fps/iframe, etc., and I'm still getting these 7 second freezes on playback. I'm at a loss at what I have missed (I bet you it's something completely simple). My Blue Iris app is allowed through Windows Firewall, all folders regarding Blue Iris are excluded in Windows Defender. Any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thank you!

Video System Info:
i5-4590, 3.3ghz
4gb ram
windows 10 pro

Connection is: Router > POE Switch > Camera

Example video and settings images below:

01 - Cam Video Settings.jpg 02 - Cam Video Settings.jpg 03 - Cam Video Settings.jpg 04 - Cam Motion Settings.jpg 05 - Cam Video Settings.jpg

Last edited:

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try unselecting "Use RTSP/stream timecode" in Blue Iris -> camera properties -> Network IP camera configuration.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problem here
So after some testing.. i found out at least for me... the freeze always happens after the preconfigured record time after motion is detected.. so initially I had it to record 4 seconds before motion is detected. So the video was actually freezing after 4 seconds. I changed the setting to 10 seconds pre-motion to record.. and lo and behold.. the video froze after 10 seconds. So at least I figured out why it's freezing when it does... but now.. how the heck do I fix it from freezing after the preconfigured record time??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So after some testing.. i found out at least for me... the freeze always happens after the preconfigured record time after motion is detected.. so initially I had it to record 4 seconds before motion is detected. So the video was actually freezing after 4 seconds. I changed the setting to 10 seconds pre-motion to record.. and lo and behold.. the video froze after 10 seconds. So at least I figured out why it's freezing when it does... but now.. how the heck do I fix it from freezing after the preconfigured record time??
uncheck "get events with pull point" in the configuration tab.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Unchecked it and two videos recorded this morning still had the 7 second freeze, ugh..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unchecked it and two videos recorded this morning still had the 7 second freeze, ugh..
try deleting the camera and/or trying the hikvision rtsp option...if that doesnt work try using find inspect for the onvif profile.

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
so no idea which ones of the things I changed which did it, but at the moment, the past couple days have had no freezes. Here's what I did in case it might help someone else:
  • Made sure I actually went to the Intel HD 4600 website to get the latest graphics driver and installed instead of the intel driver update utility as that one kept saying I had the latest driver. That might've affected the Hardware Decoding option because of an old driver
  • Deleted camera and added it back in
  • Change my computer power options in control panel > advanced power settings > Changed "Turn off hard disk after 20 minutes" to "Never" - This is probably the setting that actually did the true fixing

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the other threads so started my own. I have read all other of these threads on this msg board and others.. have tried clicking things on and off, hardware acceleration, adjusting the fps/iframe, etc., and I'm still getting these 7 second freezes on playback. I'm at a loss at what I have missed (I bet you it's something completely simple). My Blue Iris app is allowed through Windows Firewall, all folders regarding Blue Iris are excluded in Windows Defender. Any help would greatly be appreciated!! Thank you!

Video System Info:
i5-4590, 3.3ghz
4gb ram
windows 10 pro

Connection is: Router > POE Switch > Camera

Example video and settings images below:

View attachment 13836 View attachment 13837 View attachment 13838 View attachment 13839 View attachment 13840
I had the same issue years ago when I first set up my BI system. Go to Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> power options> edit plan settings and click on "change advanced power settings". Under "Hard Disk- Turn off Hard Disk after 20 minutes " change that to "never" and click apply.

Windows was putting the BI storage HDD to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity (no recordings). When BI detected motion and started to record, it would have to wait for the HDD to wake up from sleep before it could save the footage, hence the freezing in the recordings.

@spankdog

Last edited:

mahman

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah yes! That was one of the other changes I made in my Computer Power Options! I knew I forgot to jot down what else I changed to get it to work. I'll edit my other post in case other people might spring upon this thread to help them.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip smiticans. I had tried running for a few days with the setting on and off and I didn't notice a difference. I have set it to disabled now so that I can rule the HD sleeping out for sure.