Blue Iris Port Forwarding problems, with Double Router Setup with Comcast Business

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score
I havethe Blue Iris App (android) on my LG phone, and it works when I am on the local networkwi-fi, but when I am away from home wi-fi or turn off wi-fi and connectover 4G network on my phone, it will not allow me to enter network.

I think myissue is that I have a double-router situation -- Router 1 is Comcast Business(Cisco DPC3939 -- with wifi disabled by Comcast at their install a while back, due to my account being a"telecommuter business customer") and haveI have my SHARX SCNC3905 camera connected wirelessly thru Router2 (Cisco / LinksysEA6400). I found a you-tube video on how to port forward thrudouble-router setup, which I did, and still net msg on Blue Iris App saying "Unableto Connect.....Unable to Reach Server"....

any suggestions ? I have heard/read of many problems with Comcast Business router setup....

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris Port Forwarding problems, with Double Router Setup with Comcast Busines

Is there a specific reason you need two routers versus just a router and a switch?

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris Port Forwarding problems, with Double Router Setup with Comcast Busines

yes, had no wireless on the Comcast router (as I mentioned, the Comcast tech disabled the wireless on the DPC3939 router, due to the type of business account that I have), so I wanted wireless, so I have cat5e cable connecting from that router to Linksys EA6400 (it has wireless). does that make sense ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

can the comcast router be put into bridge mode? Or try disabling dhcp on the linksys..

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

fenderman beat me to the punch, but yes, put your Comcast router into bridge mode, here's a thread describing how to go about doing it: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29535258-Equip-Placing-DPC3939-in-bridged-mode-

Alternatively, for the second router, try plugging the cat5e cable coming from your first router into a LAN port on the back rather than the WAN/Internet port on it. This should allow it to work as a switch and a wireless access point and get rid of the need to have double port-forwarding required.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

ipcamdude gave the best option. no need to make things complicated. run your cisco modem/gateway as the main gateway and subnet. don't connect the WAN on the 2nd router and connect one of the LAN ports on the 2nd router to the LAN port on the cisco modem/gateway so its basically just acting as a WAP. Keep DHCP running on the cisco modem/gateway and disable it on the 2nd router's LAN interface. the cisco modem will pitch DHCP to the clients that connect via the WAP aka 2nd router. basically you're just using the 2nd router as a WAP now. If you have any static address devices, reconfigure them to talk on the cisco modem/gateway's LAN address range. lastly grab yourself a beer.

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score

OK. SUCCESS!! thanks to all of you. it is working -- I can access from outside of my home network [internet]. BUT only when I turn OFF "Authentication" under Options / Advanced. When the "Authentication" is turned ON, I get error on my phone (App) when I try to connect. The message is "Unable to connect. Please try again. Reason: no matching user/pw". So, now my issue is how do I set a user id/password when I access over internet? I assume it is wanting the Camera's UserID/Password, but it never asks for it, just gives me the Error msg ?? Any thoughts? thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

No, its asking for the blue iris user name and password. Make sure create a user name with a password. blue iris options>users
Make sure lan only is not checked..and you probably want to assign admin rights.

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score

SUCCESS. fenderman, you are awesome! thanks again.

one last question: I have been accessing over internet using Blue Iris App.... If I want to access over internet on PC (no App), is it possible? I tried entering my external IP address (68.x.x.x:8150) -- which is same as I have entered my external internet location on B.I. App -- and I get nothing. Is the Blue Iris Camera setup only accessible over internet via the Blue Iris App ? Just thinking may want to access with something other than my phone, away from home....

IPCamDude

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

You should be able to access it via a browser as well using the external IP and port when you are outside of your network. If you are inside your network, use the local IP and port and it should work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

To add to ipcamdude's comment, if you are unable to access it but are trying from your local network using the external ip, it may just be a nat loop back issue (usually found in router/modem combo units)...this will affect the phone app as well... but you most likely have both the local ip and external ip entered on the phone app so you dont notice...
To test try actually logging in from a remote location...also, you can remove the local ip address from the phone app(temporarily) if it only works when connected to cellular but not wifi, its most likely nat loopback..its not an issue at all, just when you are local, you need to use the local ip address.

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score

OK. when I try to access from external wifi network [just typing "68*.*.*:8150" on address line], I am getting a msg box "Authentication Required 68.*.*.* " then asks for User Name & Password for login. Which UserName/Password is it wanting? I have tried several different ones, but nothing seems to be correct. any thoughts? thanks in advance.

tp1663

n3wb
Reaction score

Just figured it out. it is wanting the User ID / Password that I set in Blue Iris under Options/User . Awesome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

8150 should be forwarded to the ip address of your blue iris machine (webserver)....you should be seeing a blue login screen asking for the blue iris user name and password.