Blue Iris PTZ custom port doesn't seem to do anything (verified with wireshark)

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
Alright so I'm looking to move away from zoneminder as it can't clear the disk as fast as it can fill it due to the millions of frames being separate files.

Blueiris seemed pretty highly recommended so I have the demo and am trying it out. So far I like it, but I'm trying to get ptz working with no luck.

I have cheap chinese ptz cameras (spare me the lecture) which work great with zoneminder and most other things.

The ptz function is controlled via onvif over port 5000. I set up BlueIris with the following:
https://img.superunicorn.net/i/tygvju.png

Custom port set to 5000 as is needed. That didnt work, so I tried other camera presets that are similar to the one I got like Sricam which mine is a clone of and whatnot. Still wouldnt work.

Curious I installed wireshark and filtered for port 5000, and found that there are no packets even being sent to that by blueiris. To rule anything else out, I installed another client that DOES work (happytime onvif client) and it shows packets on port 5000 just fine so I know wireshark is working.

So I thought well maybe the IP in the custom box is breaking it, so I left it as just 5000 and :5000 but had similar problems.

The custom port box on that just seems to not do anything as far as I can tell. Am I missing something really obvious here or what?

Here is wireshark using BlueIris: https://img.superunicorn.net/i/rpeybj.png

And here is wireshark using the other program that works to show that the capture is working: https://img.superunicorn.net/i/qqxzfk.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What are your settings in the video configure tab? did you run find inspect?

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
What are your settings in the video configure tab? did you run find inspect?
Yep I did and it detected it.

I just tried an older version of Blue Iris (4.0.3 to be exact) and it worked first try. Perhaps something with the new version only?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep I did and it detected it.

I just tried an older version of Blue Iris (4.0.3 to be exact) and it worked first try. Perhaps something with the new version only?
That is a very old version, I would not recommend it..you can try emailing support, or instead of onvif find the proper brand from the dropdown...

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a very old version, I would not recommend it..you can try emailing support, or instead of onvif find the proper brand from the dropdown...
Yeah I'll probably do that if playing around with it more doesnt get anywhere. It isn't critical for me to be able to control the cameras from it. I plan to use it as mainly just a recorder and keep zoneminder around for easy access on phones and such.

Proper brand is not listed there (ouku) because it is a cheap chinese clone of cheap chinese clones of clones of foscams. All good though. it works in an old version so I know im on the right track.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'll probably do taht if playing around with it more doesnt get anywhere. It isn't critical for me to be able to control the cameras from it. I plan to use it as mainly just a recorder and keep zoneminder around for easy access on phones and such.

Proper brand is not listed there (ouku) because it is a cheap chinese clone of cheap chinese clones of clones of foscams. All good though. it works in an old version so I know im on the right track.
Blue iris has a fantastic mobile app...probably one of the best.
You can try other similar cloned brands..foscam wanscam etc..

Reaction score
I've been messing with cheap chinese cameras using BI for a while, what make, model are you trying to get ptz working on?

Reaction score
BI, really is the best to use once you get the right settings for your camera. BI has run faultlessly day and night for a couple of years now. I've only tried 2 cameras that I couldn't get to work with it. One of those is now supported (damn I gave that one away LOL). Now that Flash /nest and drop cam s are supported, theres hope for a lot more of the cheap cams which are idea for small homes and small budgets.

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris has a fantastic mobile app...probably one of the best.
You can try other similar cloned brands..foscam wanscam etc..
ah yes so it does. was getting it confused with a different one. Bit pricy though but I'll be using zoneminder along side BI for my mom as she doesnt want something complicated and just wants a simple way to view the live cameras, which zoneminder and the app IP cam viewer works quite well for.

Playing with BI more I am definitely loving this software. Really well made.

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been messing with cheap chinese cameras using BI for a while, what make, model are you trying to get ptz working on?

They are Ouku brand which seems to be the most recent made up name for foscam clones straight from china. As far as I can tell it is a clone of a SriCam SP012. RTSP video on port 554, ONVIF over 5000 and thats about it. Doesn't respond to many standard onvif commands, just pan and tilt which is all I needed anyway.

They are designed to be one of those weird p2p ip cameras, so they get their own vlan with absolutely no internet access. The firewall log of them trying to phone home to a handful of chinese IPs is quite astounding

[$20.39] OUKU® 720P Megapixel H.264 Wireless PTZ ONVIF WiFi IP Security Camera

Overall I am quite happy with these. Picked up 10 of them for $18 each which is a steal, so I dont mind a bit of fussing to get them working.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are Ouku brand which seems to be the most recent made up name for foscam clones straight from china. As far as I can tell it is a clone of a SriCa. RTSP video on port 554, ONVIF over 5000 and thats about it. Doesn't respond to many standard onvif commands, just pan and tilt which is all I needed anyway.

They are designed to be one of those weird p2p ip cameras, so they get their own vlan with absolutely no internet access. The firewall log of them trying to phone home to a handful of chinese IPs is quite astounding

[$20.39] OUKU® 720P Megapixel H.264 Wireless PTZ ONVIF WiFi IP Security Camera

Overall I am quite happy with these. Picked up 10 of them for $18 each which is a steal, so I dont mind a bit of fussing to get them working.
Try going to ptz tab on the BI camera properties and change select "sricam" and if that doesn't work try "Wanscam hw0025".

Reaction score
These are the settings I'm using on the sricam sp012. Has sound & ptz. upload_2017-4-9_15-59-42.png

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
These are the settings I'm using on the sricam sp012. Has sound & ptz. View attachment 17100

Yep looks about the same which isn't surprising. Aside from one saying Ouku and one saying Sricam, you wouldnt be able to tell these apart. even has the same QC stickers and everything.

I plan to get into the firmware eventually and I fully expect it to say sricam in there

Reaction score
Watch which firmware you put one of them knocks out the hd feed on rtsp. There are a couple of threads talking about this.

BrandonG

n3wb
Reaction score
Watch which firmware you put one of them knocks out the hd feed on rtsp. There are a couple of threads talking about this.

Yeah Im lucky enough mine put out full 720p by default. I dont plan to reflash these at all as I have no need for a webui or anything. As long as it takes ptz in and video out Im a happy camper

surfrescue

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update, I put the newest version on my actual camera server and imported the config file for the camera that I had made. PTZ now works fine.

For future people (hi!) that find this via google looking for the same thing, here is what my working ptz settings are for the ouku clone of a sricam sp-012
https://img.superunicorn.net/i/hrfbaq.png

THANKS A MILLION worked like a champ on my SRICAM SP015...now i can pan and tilt from within blueiris....still not sure how i can get the camera to auto pan left to right right to left so its sweeping an area...i though that was the patrol funtion, but now im thinking that just switches between multiple cameras.