Blue Iris Recording Issues

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm having some recording issues in BI trying to record a video for this forum.

Basically, the timeline looks ok apart from every few inches at irregular intervals there is a vertical red line in the timeline with a lightening bolt symbol at the top. Below this line there is a thicker red line that extends along the timeline for several inches. There is no visible break in the video recording but on playback, there are several several seconds of video missing in this region and the video jumps ahead.

In the settings, I have "restrict manual recording" (I'm triggering this manually) turned off.

Looking at the CPU usage, it's around 12% and memory around 400mbs (out of 16GB).

It's recording to a non system drive thats 7200rpm (WD Black) and fast for a 7200 drive over SATA so I can't see a bottle neck there. Video setting is default resolution, Max quality - 6, bit rate 6,600kbs, fps 15. Sub stream is enabled and at default settings.

Given resources don't seem low, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Provide a video example of the problem.
2) what is your CPU ?
3) make and model of your camera with the problem.
4) are you recording continuous recording direct-to-disk
5) is the camera network traffic passing through the router.
6) is the virus scanner turned off on the BI video folders
7) is the disk defragmenter turned off on the BI video drive

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
1. Not had the time to render anything and I junked most of the files. Screenshot here though of the timeline issue:

CCTV Issue.jpg
You can see the red marks.

2. Intel i7 3770K

3. Dahua TIOC 4mp Turret

4. In BI it's configured to record to my G drive which is a WD Black. There's no re-encoding set. For some reason the camera seems to be using h2.65 and the BI h264. That said, CPU is 12% and memroy 400mb.

5, Network is camera > Switch > Router Port > PC. Cat 5 all the way.

6. No but I don't have scanning scheduled.

7. No but only scheduled once a week.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The orange line is simply displaying the length of the trigger. If you are manually triggering recording, the recording will only begin on a new iframe.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I've recorded a video of a clip playing back in BI. Excuse the bad taste 80's jacket it was 1 possible prop for the video.

Looking at the recording, you can see it jump and a part of the video go missing. Looking at the timeline in the video on BI, the clip is playing back to around 7.298 secs and then jumping to around 7.398 secs losing a full second or more of video. You can see the cursor jump and by pausing see the video see the before and after points where it jumps. It seems to be doing this throughout recordings and these jumps seem to appear in rendered videos.

Not sure why this is. Is it bottlenecking somewhere in write times? Slightly puzzled here as a WD Black 7200rpm on SATA is faster than a surveillance drive. Also, wouldn't it just fail rather than jump?

If the bottlenecking is the issue, then would it be safe to leave the record destination for testing to my C drive (fast ssd). I was a bit worried leaving it there as it overwrites when full and I didn't want it over writing my programs or OS and wasn't sure if it would create a folder and just over write within that or if it would assume the whole disc was for recordings and over write the contents.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it was some writing issue after all. I took the risk of diverting the stream to a folder on my c drive (SSD) and no further issues. Thanks for the replies.