Blue Iris remote server down

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
I apologize if Im just completely missing something, but recently after my Orbi router shut down, I've lost connection to the remote server which prevents me from seeing the ipcams from my BI phone app. See below...the LAN on BI shows up blank and it will not let me write in the LAN address of the PC. I should mention when the Orbi router went down, I had to reinstall everything as if it were a brand new router...which was weird. I reused static IPs as I could, renamed a few where devices overlapped. Im using the router as DHCP and reserved the PC IP as well. What am I missing? Why wont the LAN show up on the BI software?

upload_2019-3-27_18-37-23.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize if Im just completely missing something, but recently after my Orbi router shut down, I've lost connection to the remote server which prevents me from seeing the ipcams from my BI phone app. See below...the LAN on BI shows up blank and it will not let me write in the LAN address of the PC. I should mention when the Orbi router went down, I had to reinstall everything as if it were a brand new router...which was weird. I reused static IPs as I could, renamed a few where devices overlapped. Im using the router as DHCP and reserved the PC IP as well. What am I missing? Why wont the LAN show up on the BI software?

View attachment 40836
restart the pc

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
yeah, i tried that, but with no success. i tried releasing and renewing the IP as well...nothing worked there. Im rebooting the router/modem now and will maybe try and renew its IP...

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
good point. technically i set them up on the router as a DHCP reservation. i believe thats the way I did it previously though and it worked. this is probably why i had to rename a few ipcams when the router/modem had to be reinstalled after a recent storm. i dont believe ive ever set them up as static ips. this reminded me to check the mac address on the router, which i just did...and its correct. so im still a bit confused...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
good point. technically i set them up on the router as a DHCP reservation. i believe thats the way I did it previously though and it worked. this is probably why i had to rename a few ipcams when the router/modem had to be reinstalled after a recent storm. i dont believe ive ever set them up as static ips. this reminded me to check the mac address on the router, which i just did...and its correct. so im still a bit confused...
Set up everything with static IP's and see if that helps

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
sounds like a plan. this weekend when i have time i may set up the router/modem from scratch again as well. thanks for the replies!

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
so its taken me forever to really go through the options here, including re-installing both the network/modem as well as Blue Iris, and then trying a static IP approach. heck, I even updated to BIv5, but somehow this topic is still not resolved. and as an FYI bp2008, the "interfaces" drop-down is empty. I just dont get it. Ive changed the port many times, gone through the wizard over and over again, and yet the LAN address (and interface) is blank. theres got to be something Im missing...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like a problem with the network driver or something. See if you can get an update for the network interface driver.

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
i just reinstalled the router today and updated the firmware, or are you thinking the PCs network card..?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't think of any way your router could make Blue Iris unable to see your computer's network interface, and that appears to be the problem. BI can't find any network interfaces so it can't bind the port for its web server to listen on.

screeli

n3wb
Reaction score
I think Im learning why people destroy printers...this config is just not working. I have the new fancy orbi RBR50 with mesh network that was really nice at first. it actually tripled my speeds, but I think the complexity of the system is whats causing the problem. It let me set up a port forward for BI that worked at first, but when the LAN interface went blank...it was downhill form there. I think I spent the better half of yesterday rebooting, reconfiguring, etc...and at the end of the day I didnt even have internet. I reinstalled both BI and the router from scratch, to ensure it wasnt user error, but still the same results. Its apparently rare, because other convos Ive found similar to this was resolved by the timing of the reconfiguration. Ill continue wasting my time today and let you know if anything works. In the meantime if anyone has any ideas let me know please...

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own the same Orbi system. I’m about to switch over to a direct ONT connection with mine. Are you still having issues?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Reading about problems like this makes me glad that I finally switched to a firewall (pfsense) running on a virtual machine and set up my old 'router' to just handle wifi.

I have over 50 devices on my LAN and I like to have them all at static ip's. The problem is most residential routers can't handle that many reservations (they run out of ram). Since switching over, I have not had any issues and I get the extra protection from pfsense.

Look into it - the software is free to run on your own machine, or you can buy one of their standalone appliances

Official pfSense Hardware, Appliances, and Security Gateways