Blue iris remote

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Got my camera system up and running but I can't get the remote access to work outside my network.
I live in rural manitoba my internet comes through netset the monkeys installed it the other week just for this purpose. My issue is it's an lte based internet so has a router that I don't have access to on my roof they won't give me the password, but I did get them to put my network in the dmz to bypass the port forwarding but still no joy as when I punch in my wan address it comes to the login of the Cpe8000 which I don't have access to how do I set blue iris to portal through that thing so I can access it. Currently running a tp link wr841n
Which has blue iris port forwarded through port 8086 and the wizard in blue iris did the upnp to. The wizard check outs on everything except the external port is visible on the internet where it gives me the operation timed out.
I've emailed blue iris for a bit more support but just got the generic check the help files on portforwarding. I've sent a more detailed email on my problem with hope they can help.
Regards Matt

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does your wr841n have a public IP address or was it issued a private IP by the lte router/modem?

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was issued an IP address from the lte router which I couldn't find out till I phoned them I know it now
I did have one thought though.
The IP address that my router was given is 192.168.20.105
But my lan network is running off the normal 192.168.0.1 lan is working perfect so not sure if this is an issue

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The Blue Iris developer doesn't have time to teach people networking skills :)

Go to Open Port Check Tool (canyouseeme.org)

This website shows you your public IP address and lets you test a connection to any port you want.

For the sake of this example, lets assume it tells you your public IP is 10.10.10.10.

So if you enter port 8086 in their box and click Check Port then their server will try to open a connection to 10.10.10.10 on port 8086. This will be received by the "Cpe8000" router that you don't have admin access to. If they correctly set up DMZ for you, this connection request will be forwarded to your router "wr841n" (address 192.168.20.105) with the same port number.

Then your router will look at its port forwarding table to see if it is expecting anything to come in on external port 8086. You should have a port forwarding rule set up for external port 8086 which maps to your Blue Iris server's local IP address 192.168.0.XXX. Most port forwarding configurations let you map the external port to a different internal port, but I suggest you keep the internal port number the same as the external one for simplicity's sake.

You need to have Blue Iris's web server listening on port 8086. If all this is set up correctly, then canyouseeme.org will connect to your Blue Iris server and tell you everything is okay.

Oh... and one last thing ... turn OFF the UPnP feature in your router. That is a horrible security hole because it will allow your cameras to open ports to themselves without your knowledge, and then your cameras will get hacked sooner or later. Don't let UPnP be active.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have some basic networking skills and I've done all what you've said before and I've double checked it since your post. I'm guessing the guy on the customer support messed it up as he had no clue about dmz so that it would let everything through to my router, he just wanted to follow his script. It's getting me annoyed as I'd just like to check he did it right

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like they probably screwed it up then. See if you can get someone different on the customer support line I guess. For one thing, they need to have set a static IP reservation for your TP Link router because if that changed IPs then it would no longer match their DMZ host rule and all your ports would be closed again.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They want to charge me $100 a month for static but he assured me it wouldn't change unless I unplugged router for longer than 24hours. It's on a battery backup power so hopefully that never happens. But I will try again with customer support and see how I get on anything else I should ask?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
M4TTDUFFY. You may start by plugging the blue iris server directly into the LTE router and see if you can get it working that way first. Since that router is issuing private IP addresses it must be performing NAT. Without being able to configure the LTE router you may be SOL.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a static public IP address (that is what dynamic DNS services are for). What you need is to make sure their locked down router is assigning your TP Link router the same private IP address every time (192.168.20.105) and that they have also configured this address as the DMZ host.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could try that it's poe but I can just plug in to the lan side of the injector ha not dragging a tv and desktop on to the roof but I can try into the injector

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be counter-productive to plug the Blue Iris server into the LTE router, because it is almost certain the LTE router would assign the Blue Iris server some other address that is not the DMZ host address and therefore no external ports would be forwarded to it. You only want one thing plugged in to the LTE router when they log on to fix it up for you, and that one thing is your TP Link router's WAN port.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with bp2008. I just wanted to see if they had actually put you in the DMZ as they said. Also with the double nat it will be more difficult to configure.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still on the phone with them now being bounced around techs, waiting for a head guy now. one other thing when going through the wizard I can bring up the website with the login page for blue iris but I cant log in

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
right got it all working now and got them to rite down what they did to get the dmz working properly for me as I will be putting a system in for a buddy. the first guy made a mess of setting up the dmz blocking pretty much everything had to reset everything on there radio to factory then start from scratch but all good now. thanks for all the help. just in the process of trimming down broadcast quality for a better streaming as ive only 1.2mbps upload

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with bp2008. I just wanted to see if they had actually put you in the DMZ as they said. Also with the double nat it will be more difficult to configure.
Yeah, I actually triple-natted the DSL at my dad's office. First it runs through the Actiontec DSL modem/router which doesn't have a bridge mode, goes from there to a little Linksys WRT54GL router running Tomato (I use it for the QoS feature), and finally it goes into a Peplink load balancing router, where the DSL acts as a backup for a faster wireless internet service. I just set up static IP addresses for the Linksys and Peplink, and used the DMZ host feature in the Actiontec and Linksys to forward all external ports all the way to the Peplink. As long as you understand what is going on, multiple NATs aren't a big deal.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
right got it all working now and got them to rite down what they did to get the dmz working properly for me as I will be putting a system in for a buddy. the first guy made a mess of setting up the dmz blocking pretty much everything had to reset everything on there radio to factory then start from scratch but all good now. thanks for all the help. just in the process of trimming down broadcast quality for a better streaming as ive only 1.2mbps upload
I'm glad you got it. That is rough not having a lot of upload. Us camera junkies love our upload.