Blue Iris, replacing Nest cams, a few questions

Neerovra

n3wb
Reaction score
I (like a fool) bought 6 nest cams. Then I saw the subscription price for the service. It's redonkulous. I blame myself for not doing more research.

Anyhoo, I got Blue Iris, but it isn't really working with the Nest cams. I blame Nest as I have heard nothing but glowing comments on the Blue Iris software.

I am going to replace the cameras. I have run wi-fi extenders all over the house and run extension cords all over the attic. I have: outlet--> extension cord--> Nest came power cord --> USB cord to Nest cam.

I accept that I need to buy non-Nest cameras to play nice with Blue Iris. I am hoping to avoid thrashing around in the attic. I have the low crawlspace type attic, not the haunted rocking chair type.

Is there a good camera that you could recommend that talks via Wi-Fi signal and is powered by USB? It would save a ton of attic time for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I (like a fool) bought 6 nest cams. Then I saw the subscription price for the service. It's redonkulous. I blame myself for not doing more research.

Anyhoo, I got Blue Iris, but it isn't really working with the Nest cams. I blame Nest as I have heard nothing but glowing comments on the Blue Iris software.

I am going to replace the cameras. I have run wi-fi extenders all over the house and run extension cords all over the attic. I have: outlet--> extension cord--> Nest came power cord --> USB cord to Nest cam.

I accept that I need to buy non-Nest cameras to play nice with Blue Iris. I am hoping to avoid thrashing around in the attic. I have the low crawlspace type attic, not the haunted rocking chair type.

Is there a good camera that you could recommend that talks via Wi-Fi signal and is powered by USB? It would save a ton of attic time for me.
No, any good camera will be ip based using ethernet...
look at the dahua starlight threads..
if you cannot run the cable yourself, pay someone, it will be worthwhile.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have .... run extension cords all over the attic. I have: outlet--> extension cord--> Nest came power cord --> USB cord to Nest cam.
By any chance are there DC power supplies (i.e. 'wall warts' or USB 5VDC power supplies) in the attic now?
If so, you definitely want those out of there, as summertime attic heat could help with one of them overheating, catching fire, etc. and you do NOT want that in your attic! :(

The best IP cams regardless of brand (and Dahua and Hikvision are this forum's favs) will be 'POE' (Power Over Ethernet) meaning they 1) use Ethernet cable for data and 2) use the same cable for camera power from a centrally located POE switch, injector or POE NVR.:cool:

Last edited:

Neerovra

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for all the great advice. I am going to try one of the Dahua cameras that looney2ns suggests. On the Alibaba ordering page it says Signal system" PAL" and it seems to be offering a different answer that doesn't appear. Do I want PAL to talk to a Blue Iris POE wired set-up?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all for all the great advice. I am going to try one of the Dahua cameras that looney2ns suggests. On the Alibaba ordering page it says Signal system" PAL" and it seems to be offering a different answer that doesn't appear. Do I want PAL to talk to a Blue Iris POE wired set-up?
It's all digital, it really doesn't matter.