Blue Iris Status - Connections Ripe.net

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I am still investigating VPN pros and cons, I am using Port Forwarding on Blue Iris. I am watching Blue Iris Status - Connections and seeing some short connections 2-3 seconds and when I do Whois IP is says Ripe.net. Is this something to do with Blue Iris?

LostGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
You've put a web server on the Internet. The connections you see are likely automated scanners. This could be everything from legitimate services to malicious servers looking for vulnerable devices to exploit. The WHOIS result you're seeing just means you aren't querying the authoritative registrar for the IP. RIPE is the regional internet registry for Europe. In short, a device in Europe has connected to your BI server and at a minimum enumerated it.

A polite suggestion - disable your port forward. You're asking for trouble.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you LostGuy. I am looking at going with VPN and still studying that but have a lot to run. If I run OpenVPN on BI server can I turn off port forwarding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you LostGuy. I am looking at going with VPN and still studying that but have a lot to run. If I run OpenVPN on BI server can I turn off port forwarding.
that is the entire point of vpn...if you keep the port open the vpn is pointless.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I obviously need to do a lot of studying on VPN. I thought I read somewhere I would have to have port forwarding if I wanted to access BI outside of my LAN. Back to reading.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a decent router and enable VPN through the router, quick and simple solution. Asus works pretty well and with VPN it's just like being directly connected to your own LAN.

LostGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I obviously need to do a lot of studying on VPN. I thought I read somewhere I would have to have port forwarding if I wanted to access BI outside of my LAN. Back to reading.
Whether or not you have to port forward depends on where you terminate your VPN. There are a number of ways to slice this, but the two most common are:
  • run OpenVPN on your BI server and forward UDP/1194 (or whatever port you chose to use) to the BI server;
  • run OpenVPN on your router and don't forward any ports; the router simply listens on UDP/1194
You'll also probably want to figure out a way to use a dynamic DNS provider and keep the record updated automatically, but all that and more can be found in the CliffsNotes.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am considering the router option but, just reading some people claiming considerable speed reduction when using VPN. My internet service provides about 50 Mpbs on a good day and stream video through typically 3 Rokus daily and get some buffering issues on Hulu occasionally. At this point I am thinking OpenVPN on BI server or maybe a router with VPN and run everything through it except Roku.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am considering the router option but, just reading some people claiming considerable speed reduction when using VPN. My internet service provides about 50 Mpbs on a good day and stream video through typically 3 Rokus daily and get some buffering issues on Hulu occasionally. At this point I am thinking OpenVPN on BI server or maybe a router with VPN and run everything through it except Roku.
Again you are misunderstanding. Your devices on your network wont be affected at all. You are reading about a different type of vpn..you must read the first VPN for noobs post or you will be spinning your wheels.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again you are misunderstanding. Your devices on your network wont be affected at all. You are reading about a different type of vpn..you must read the first VPN for noobs post or you will be spinning your wheels.
Fenderman thank you for pushing me to learn. Finally clicked for me. Setup my ip with No-IP, installed OpenVPN on my Blue Iris Server and a Client pc. All is running well. Learned a lot about VPN the last couple of days and especially installing OpenVPN. There is a great youtube video that Tim Young made on OpenVPN and scripts he has written that make OpenVPN much easier to install on a server. It is called The ULTIMATE/automated OpenVPN setup with my OVPNSetup.zip. I tried configuring OpenVPN using the Easy Window Guide on OpenVPN site and OVPNSetup from Tim. The both worked, but I like that OVPNSetup puts the required files for the Server in one ovpn file and all the files for the Client in one ovpn file.