Blue Iris Status - Connections Unknown IPs

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just recently started seeing these connections in this log. Is this something I should be concerned about? Does this mean someone is actually connecting to my machine and viewing my cameras?
1683657724157.jpeg1683657432325.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Note how they all have "Frames" 0, and no user name. That means they didn't view any video and they didn't log in.

That stuff is all very common if you have a publicly exposed service, and you get orders of magnitude more of it if you exposed it on a common port number. If you raise that port number to something in the range of, say, 50000 to 65535, then it would most likely become very rare to find such connections in the status window.

roechas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What determines what connections get logged in this log.
Is it any ping that is sent to my IP : Port?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it logs any TCP connection that is opened to your IP : Port. It MAY require that connection to use the HTTP protocol to request something; I'm not sure.

"Ping" as in the actual ping command does not utilize port numbers and Blue Iris is not responsible for answering pings, so it couldn't log those even if it wanted to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either they have scanned you as you have open ports or you have something you have been trying to add to your system that uses that to find open ports?

So as stated above, if you are port forwarding or stunnel instead of VPN, you may want to look into it as it is a matter of time before someone gets through.