Blue Iris Tutorial

Bentley

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial or video anywhere on how to setup BI version 4 software from scratch? Something you could follow step by step? Thanks Bentley

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This would be nice, even if just to compare what I fumbled through when I installed, I knwo there has to be better ways to do things, a 'best practices' document would really be a big help, especially with things like setting up a system to use a lower amount of bandwidth, leverage alerts/clips, motion, camera flash storage, hi res stills, etc...

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up getting an NVR, I spent 6 weeks trying to "tweak" BI to get it to run right, and it never did.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up getting an NVR, I spent 6 weeks trying to "tweak" BI to get it to run right, and it never did.
Blue iris is fantastic, however, as will all other vms, you need to learn the software. If you want very basic recording and stick with one or two camera brands then an NVR is sufficient. When it comes to scheduling and alerts and multi level motion detection, NVR's are sorely lacking. I have over 20 blue iris machines running smooth as butter.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes Fenderman, but you also have the time to futz with the machines, and get them dialed in. I work 16 hour days, 7 days a week, and am often exhausted falling asleep at the keyboard. BlueIris has done a horrid job of documentation when it comes to fine tuning, lack of tutorials, etc... You have been incredibly friendly and helpful to me and may others, which I would like to publicly thank you for!!

You sir are a huge asset to this site!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes Fenderman, but you also have the time to futz with the machines, and get them dialed in. I work 16 hour days, 7 days a week, and am often exhausted falling asleep at the keyboard. BlueIris has done a horrid job of documentation when it comes to fine tuning, lack of tutorials, etc... You have been incredibly friendly and helpful to me and may others, which I would like to publicly thank you for!!

You sir are a huge asset to this site!
Thanks, I appreciate the complement. For the basic recording 24/7 recording you can be up and running in 30 minuets...lots of folks here, total armatures, have got it running, with a little effort. Almost everything is explained in the help file. Its impossible to provide specific instructions as each setup is different. It can be as complex or as simple as you like....its never going to be plug and play...even with cams and NVR...I would go crazy if I had to deal with alerts from NVR's...a cheap NVR is a nice backup to have running 24/7 tough..
I often recommend standalone NVR's to those who simply want the unit to record and will look at it if there is an event. Most of the folks running blue iris want the options it provides...and for those folks, the price is hard to beat.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh Im not complaining about the price of BI... I will most likely keep it running in tandem with the NVR... but after our recent break in last week, and the inability of my current set of configurations to be able to detect that motion... I opted to spend the $100 and get a cheap NVR that would run 24x7 so that I could guarantee that the cameras would record everything, and then I can play with BI and get it dialed in when my schedule permits.

The EyeSurv NVR I got was a cheapy, and I don't expect a lot of features out of it. I honestly am kicking myself, as at my other house, I bought a HikVision NVR, to record 24x7... I should have just bought the EyeSurv for 1/3rd of the price. Oh well, win some, lose some. I have the EyeSurv and BI at my primary residence, and hope to be able to tweak out BI and get it dialed in properly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
oh Im not complaining about the price of BI... I will most likely keep it running in tandem with the NVR... but after our recent break in last week, and the inability of my current set of configurations to be able to detect that motion... I opted to spend the $100 and get a cheap NVR that would run 24x7 so that I could guarantee that the cameras would record everything, and then I can play with BI and get it dialed in when my schedule permits.

The EyeSurv NVR I got was a cheapy, and I don't expect a lot of features out of it. I honestly am kicking myself, as at my other house, I bought a HikVision NVR, to record 24x7... I should have just bought the EyeSurv for 1/3rd of the price. Oh well, win some, lose some. I have the EyeSurv and BI at my primary residence, and hope to be able to tweak out BI and get it dialed in properly.
With a system like that, you should have no problem getting it to do what you want..

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Second that. Thats the one I followed 2 days ago to set mine up. This is a very useful tutorial. I have set up the basic stuff now I am going to try and tweak things the way I like them. With some trial and error, I should be able to get what I want (I think).

It is definitely a complicated software to set up. Blue Iris need to pull their finger out and put some videos online. Should help them get more sales too I think

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Second that. Thats the one I followed 2 days ago to set mine up. This is a very useful tutorial. I have set up the basic stuff now I am going to try and tweak things the way I like them. With some trial and error, I should be able to get what I want (I think).

It is definitely a complicated software to set up. Blue Iris need to pull their finger out and put some videos online. Should help them get more sales too I think
There is a detailed help file including a quick start section that has step by step instructions.

TonyB

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
New here guys, but I've found YouTube to be somewhat helpful. I searched on "Blue Iris Surveillance" and got some decent results, some more helpful than others. Just watched this one:

Oh, that was the wrong one. I found that one above interesting for what I'm considering. This is the one I had intended: