Blue Iris - two locations

Togorashi

n3wb
Reaction score
First post. I've learned a lot reading here. I have a rather unique setup and I'm wondering how I would implement Blue Iris.

I have two different sites, 5 km apart, that I'm putting on the same network with Ubiquiti Powerbeams. One location has good internet, the other has none. Each location will have 4 cameras. Should I just have one Blue Iris machine or should I have one at each location?

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First post. I've learned a lot reading here. I have a rather unique setup and I'm wondering how I would implement Blue Iris.

I have two different sites, 5 km apart, that I'm putting on the same network with Ubiquiti Powerbeams. One location has good internet, the other has none. Each location will have 4 cameras. Should I just have one Blue Iris machine or should I have one at each location?

Thanks.
Hi Togorashi,

If you have only one BI system:
Question: If you have a power failure, communication, or equipment failure at the site which has the Blue Iris machine, would that be a significant impact on your setup?

If the answer is yes, then I would plan a BI system in each location.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
I am doing something like that except the sites are only about a mile apart and one has four cams and the other only 1 cam. (Ubiquiti Nano Locos)

It works for me because the cam views are all related - people who want to see one want to see them all.

I chinced out on the server (an AMD A6-3620) and five cams have it on it's knees; so if you do the single server, I would recommend something like an i7 machine (which I have at home and which has no trouble at all with seven cams plus a Tivo-on-Steroids home meda app running 24-7.

I would gravitate towards the single-server solution and then add a second server if it does not work out - mainly because my experience with servers at the end of poor internet connections has been that it is unduly frustrating and time-consuming to work on them.

OTOH, the lady who owns the house hosting the server (we pay her monthly Comcast bill) got the bright idea of replacing the Comcast cable modem/router/switch with a "Better" one at Comcast Support's recommendation.

Now, of course the whole thing is hosed big-time - and she's in Vermont getting knee replacement surgery so we can't get on premise to troubleshoot.

So, "You pays your money and you takes your choice".... still, I'd go for the single server first...

Togorashi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with one server. Buying an entire camera system and all the networking gear, trenching, conduit, boxes, and fittings has been a big chunk of change. Just to save a buck I'll stick with one. I've got the blue iris server up and running. I put a 4 TB purple drive in an i7 HP. Installation of the cameras and network will happen over the next couple weeks.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a day late and a dollar short, but I would point out the superiority of turret-style cams over bullet-style cams....same innards, but vastly more durable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a day late and a dollar short, but I would point out the superiority of turret-style cams over bullet-style cams....same innards, but vastly more durable.
And because the IR LED's on a turret style are NOT in a ring around the lens as they are in a bullet, you're less likely going to have spider webs strung across the lens.

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
And because the IR LED's on a turret style are NOT in a ring around the lens as they are in a bullet, you're less likely going to have spider webs strung across the lens.
Yeah - I should have included that.... and it is NOT just a trivial advantage - at least where I live.

Togorashi

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a mix of different styles for different reasons. Hopefully I won't regret my purchases. Spider webs are a problem here.

I've got 4 of these turrets for coverage
HDW5231R-Z

I've got 2 of these bullets because I wanted more range to cover out to 120 ft
IPC-HFW5231E-Z5

And I've got one of these bullets that's just to read license plates
IPC-HFW5431E-Z5

What do you think?

PeteCress

n3wb
Reaction score
I became averse to Dahua a long time age when the pair of Dahua cams I bought turned ou to have some sort of non-standard setup procedure.

Cannot recall the details and, since it has been a long time, maybe they have seen the light setup-wise by now.

My preferred cams are the el-cheapo Hikvisions, whick I get in 3 and 6mm depending on the width of field I want.

I was getting them from AliExpress for something like $90 per cam, but I just heard that Hik woke up to the fact that it was hurting their overseas reatailers and shut down the guys selling Hik on AliExpress.

https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Megapixel-Outdoor-Surveillance-DS-2CD2342WD-I/dp/B01EN3YBZ4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WSDQK39RQNA999WBH4JZ looks like the turret cams I have, although the model number is not identical and https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Bullet-Security-Network/dp/B00G7GMEOG Is the bullet cam equivalent.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, AMD A6-3620 is just a really slow CPU. An i7 isn't necessary for just 5 cameras unless they are all/mostly 4K and supposed to run at a high frame rate.

Togorashi

n3wb
Reaction score
For what its worth, AMD A6-3620 is just a really slow CPU. An i7 isn't necessary for just 5 cameras unless they are all/mostly 4K and supposed to run at a high frame rate.
I'm sure that's true but the i7 HP computer only cost $350 off of ebay. Why buy anything less?