Blue Iris UI3

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
2 minor issues to report.

When viewing the default "All Cameras" group in H.264 mode there are vertical grey bars on either side on the image. It doesn't interfere with viewing the cameras in any way and doesn't happen when viewing a single camera or custom groups.

Sometimes the red box around an active camera will flicker or appear appear incomplete.

These are both minor issues are purely cosmetic.
I am not seeing the grey bars or the flickering red using EDGE H.264

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
what I am seeing in Beta7 in Edge is if I review several clips and the click back to live view it will hang and my BI cpu will spike into 70%. I have to close browser completeiy not just refresh to fix. I was not seeing this in beta6. If I use jpeg I cannot produce the crash, only h.264

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not seeing the grey bars or the flickering red using EDGE H.264
Good call, I should've mentioned the browser.

I do get this on Edge as well, I'm running the fall creators update.

I've attached screenshots of each issue. In one of the screenshots you can see that the red border is only partially drawn around the camera in the lower left. It flickers slightly as it re-draws every few seconds.

Edit: fixed funkiness with Imgur album

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When viewing the default "All Cameras" group in H.264 mode there are vertical grey bars on either side on the image. It doesn't interfere with viewing the cameras in any way and doesn't happen when viewing a single camera or custom groups.

Sometimes the red box around an active camera will flicker or appear appear incomplete.
I think the gray bars are because your group webcast resolution is not using multiples of 16 for both dimensions, and Blue Iris or the video decoder or something isn't padding the video properly. The red box I can't say for sure but it is probably having the webcast resolution too low.

You should change the resolution in Blue Iris:

With your All cameras group in particular, I think you could improve the layout by widening the frame until Blue Iris lays out the cameras in two rows instead of three. There would be more black space above and below but less within the video stream itself, making it more efficient. You can tweak the width and height of each group frame as much as you want to optimize the layout. Just remember to use multiples of 16 in both dimensions. This site can build you a handy list of multiples of 16: Multiples Calculator

Also I think if you exceed 1920 in any dimension, you may cause Blue Iris's Android or iOS apps to crash. At least that seems to make the Android app crash for me.

what I am seeing in Beta7 in Edge is if I review several clips and the click back to live view it will hang and my BI cpu will spike into 70%. I have to close browser completeiy not just refresh to fix. I was not seeing this in beta6. If I use jpeg I cannot produce the crash, only h.264
What is the CPU model and normal CPU usage % on your BI server? What is the CPU in the device you are viewing with? How much CPU does Edge use while viewing H.264 in UI3?

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Version: Release 4.6.4.8 x64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz [32%]
RAM: 1.97G
Clips: 3139 files, 1.95T/6.86T
Storage: E: +177.9G, F: +223.0G

After about clicking 10 clips it hangs....reloading page has no effect.

first pic is cpu load when I first load beta7
cpu1.JPG

here is when it is hung
cpu2.JPG

if I hit reload page I get this:
cpu3.JPG

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I can also get EDGE to hang via h.264 just by clicking my cameras in the all cams index view and then going back....takes about 7 or 8 clicks and then it hangs. So it is not just the clips.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, just threw on Chrome and it is like night and day for speed of loading clips and alerts. The browser performed perfect using beta7.....the cpu only went up 6% or so when viewing clips. I tried my hardest to make it hang...could not. Seems like this issue is with EDGE's h.264 and btw I am running the Fall uodate 1709 W10. Never used Edge until I was testing UI3 due to h.264 streaming, but Chrome works great.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. On my systems, Edge performs similarly to Chrome and doesn't exhibit any problems.

You haven't answered my question about the CPU model and usage and browser's CPU usage on the device you are viewing from. Were you running the browser on the BI server itself, or from some other machine?

You didn't mention the "Video streaming connection stuck open" error message before. That is a big hint. I coded this UI so it won't open a new H.264 streaming connection until the previous connection closes, and that message appears if one of the connections gets stuck in a bad state and fails to close. This used to happen all the time earlier in development, but eventually I figured out what was triggering the bad state and fixed it. I haven't seen it happen since, until now.

Sounds like this might be a bug in whatever specific version of Edge you have, though it may be caused by running it on an underpowered system which is why I asked for those CPU details.

What is your exact version of edge (visible at the bottom of Edge's settings menu)?

Mine is:
Microsoft Edge 40.15063.674.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 15.15063

and I was unable to reproduce your problem.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting. On my systems, Edge performs similarly to Chrome and doesn't exhibit any problems.

You haven't answered my question about the CPU model and usage and browser's CPU usage on the device you are viewing from. Were you running the browser on the BI server itself, or from some other machine?
Ok, yes I am viewing on another machine on my lan.....its a W10 64 I7 6700K cpu @ 4% with beta7 running on Edge.

Here is my Edge version:
edges.JPG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm so you are definitely not overloading that system.

I happen to be running on the same CPU and OS right now, using this older version of Edge and I can't make it fail like yours.

And of course Windows update doesn't find any updates so I appear to be stuck with this version of Edge for now.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the gray bars are because your group webcast resolution is not using multiples of 16 for both dimensions, and Blue Iris or the video decoder or something isn't padding the video properly. The red box I can't say for sure but it is probably having the webcast resolution too low.

You should change the resolution in Blue Iris:

With your All cameras group in particular, I think you could improve the layout by widening the frame until Blue Iris lays out the cameras in two rows instead of three. There would be more black space above and below but less within the video stream itself, making it more efficient. You can tweak the width and height of each group frame as much as you want to optimize the layout. Just remember to use multiples of 16 in both dimensions. This site can build you a handy list of multiples of 16: Multiples Calculator

Also I think if you exceed 1920 in any dimension, you may cause Blue Iris's Android or iOS apps to crash. At least that seems to make the Android app crash for me.

What is the CPU model and normal CPU usage % on your BI server? What is the CPU in the device you are viewing with? How much CPU does Edge use while viewing H.264 in UI3?
I'll play around with the frame size, right now it's not set.

My CPU usage on BI hovers around 35% with UI3 open. I'm running BI on dual Xeon E5620's, although the Blue Iris server is virtualized on a host with a number of other servers so it shares the CPU. I only present 8 cores to the OS that BI is running on.

My client is a core i7 4770k and Edge consumes about 2% CPU when UI3 is the only tab open. Chrome is about the same.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I just tested this on my BI machine using Edge which is the same as you are running and it does not hang....so it does appear its the new Edge version....I'm not sure if I am a big fan of all these OS updates now :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I am curious what you all use for monitoring CPU usage on your BI computers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DokkenVersusChicken

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is anyone else having issue with scrubbing playback of clips? both safari and chrome exhibit the same issue. blurry image during scrubbing. playback is fine, just holding down the timeline handle causes blurry images, making itimposible to scrub through and see the image. when you let go of the handle, it goes back to clear.

this is pretty much a show stopper for me. i use scrubbing every morning to preview the previous day's recordings quickly.

Last edited:

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
is anyone else having issue with scrubbing playback of clips? both safari and chrome exhibit the same issue. blurry image during scrubbing. playback is fine, just holding down the timeline handle causes blurry images, making itimposible to scrub through and see the image. when you let go of the handle, it goes back to clear.
I am. I assumed that was a side effect of H.264.