Blue Iris Update Error "Access Denied" 5.7.2.0 --> 5.7.2.2

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Long time Blue Iris user, auto updates on, never had any problem with it until this morning's update.

I have used eset security for years, always a reliable solution as part of my security suite, but today it flagged something in a Blue Iris update:

"A suspicious application (Win64/Packed.Obsidium.A) was found in a file that "Video Security and Webcam Software" tried to access. The file has been deleted"

Followed by "Access Denied" and the update frozen about halfway through behind it. I cancel the update and "ok" out of the Access Denied screen. Blue Iris still starts fine so there's that.

Below are the relevant screenshots - anyone else encountering this or is this just my problem?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-03-25 084145.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 084313.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 084746.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its a false positive by eset
You are asking for trouble with auto update. You surely had issues but they may have gone unnoticed. Also exclude the blue iris program and storage folder from anti-virus.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn’t think many people used third party AV software these days? I’ve been using the built in Defender for ages, used to use eSet and Kaspersky before that but had way too many issues, most associated with updates to the software so dumped them years ago.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind how the "unknown Publisher" or "potential virus" messages are generated (just called virus moving forward in the rest of this post for simplicity).

It is not a virus, rather it is whatever antivirus you are using has flagged it as a potential virus. Some programs look at the total number of users and below a certain number, it is flagged. These specialty type files/programs get false positives all the time.

As mentioned above, you can check the file with VirusTotal , an antivirus website owned by Google that runs it thru a lot of different antivirus algorithms.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I'll get it handled.